New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

*sigh* still can't decide..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Uchiha1911

Uchiha1911 is on a distinguished road

Hey there forum! =)

How're you doing all today? Weather's been nice on me, so I'm doing great ^^
Went to the Apple Retail Store once more to check out the MacBook and the MacBook Pro 13''.. and I still can't decide wheter to take the MacBook or the MacBook Pro..

I can cough up the money now to buy a MBP, but the MacBook is 225,- cheaper here than the base 13'' MacBook Pro model which I could spend on an Intel SSD (X25-M 80GB).
It's not that I don't like the MacBook.. It looks great, feels rather good and the keys are great. Screen is awesome too.
I'm just scared I'll regret getting the MacBook over the MacBook Pro because it's aluminium and it just 'feels' better, the more vibrant colours on the screen and the backlit keyboard.

The MacBook would cost me 825,- and the base 13'' MBP would cost me 1050,-. I have 1250,- to spend on my MacBook (Pro).

What would be your advice or what would you personally do? Maybe some people could post their experiences they've had with theit MacBooks and MacBook Pro's so far? I think it would be a great help for me deciding what to choose.
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

You don't want buyer's remorse.

Get the MacBook Pro. =)

The backlit keyboard is to die for!!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I would either cough up for the MBP.
What I would really do personally is wait until I could afford the 15", esp as the new line won't be too much longer until they hit the shelves, and that will either tempt you to get the new model, or pay less for a better model that's available now.
When I say won't be long, I suspect withing a couple of months.
If it can't wait, I'd certainly be going the MBP not only to have firewire, backlit keyboard and bling, but also for resale value.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

Another course of action would be to get the MacBook and have upgrades installed. More RAM, bigger hard disk, get some software thrown in. Essentially build a better "bundle" by buying the less expensive base model and making up the difference in goodies!
QUOTE Thanks
dcollens

dcollens is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17", i7 2.66G, 8G Ram, Lion 10.7.2

Just read this at Mac Rumors

New Hexacore Mac Pros Next Tuesday? - Mac Rumors

Not the rumor forum, but it may help in this decision.

It is what I have been waiting for. I'll be soon buying the new MBP 17".

dc
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

i would go for the mbp when i was searching for the right mac for me i just had to bite the bullet and get the one i want and not settle. if u use yours for a few years like me i would get what you want.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I would go with the MacBook Pro. SSDs are still in their infancy and OS X doesn't yet support the TRIM command, so in time it will slow down until Apple gets their act together. Also by this time next year, the 256GB SSDs will be in the $450-500 range and you'll be kicking yourself if you spend that much on a paltry 80GB drive today.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha1911 View Post
I'm just scared I'll regret getting the MacBook over the MacBook Pro
I think you answered your own question

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Uchiha1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
I would either cough up for the MBP.
What I would really do personally is wait until I could afford the 15", esp as the new line won't be too much longer until they hit the shelves, and that will either tempt you to get the new model, or pay less for a better model that's available now.
When I say won't be long, I suspect withing a couple of months.
If it can't wait, I'd certainly be going the MBP not only to have firewire, backlit keyboard and bling, but also for resale value.
I'll be getting the 13' not because I can't afford the 15', I want something that fairly portable and still great so the 13 inch fits me better.
I do agree with you on the update, although I can't wait a couple of months more.. I think I'll be making my purchase when April hits.. so if the updates are due this month it would be ideal.
QUOTE Thanks
Uchiha1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsd123 View Post
You don't want buyer's remorse.

Get the MacBook Pro. =)

The backlit keyboard is to die for!!
That's certainly not what I want, I don't want myself banging my head into the wall for making the wrong purchase. As some other people suggested, I'll just get what I want. I'll go with the MacBook Pro base 13' model when April hits; with or without the update =)

I think I will be extremely satisfied, not only because of the backlit keyboard and the overall better feel the laptop has but also because a friend of mine lend me his for 3 days and it was lightning fast and worked very smoothly.

I'll upgrade the RAM to 4GB and get myself a nice sleeve, which would bring the total pricing around 1175,-.
Would I be better of letting Apple upgrade my RAM (note the 8% educational discount) or should I get myself a Crucial 2x2GB kit?

Also, SSD's will befome a lot less expensive than they're now in the coming year; so I think I'll buy one when the prices have dropped a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
Uchiha1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollens View Post
Just read this at Mac Rumors

New Hexacore Mac Pros Next Tuesday? - Mac Rumors

Not the rumor forum, but it may help in this decision.

It is what I have been waiting for. I'll be soon buying the new MBP 17".

dc
Would it be a possibility the new MacBook Pro line will be introduced on the same day as the Mac Pro (of they are to be released this friday/tuesday, that is)?
QUOTE Thanks
Andy007

Andy007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)

I was in the same boat as you for pretty much the same reasons, read this, it may or may not help, but bottom line is I couldn't be happier with my purchase

Recent Switcher....My Story
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Get the MBP - I have the Black MacBook which I love to bits, but I always wished I'd spent a little more on a Pro.

However, wait until the end of next week - there is a rumor of a refresh being imminent, and if you can get an i7 or i5 in the machine, it's a huge jump of the Core 2.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Uchiha1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy007 View Post
I was in the same boat as you for pretty much the same reasons, read this, it may or may not help, but bottom line is I couldn't be happier with my purchase

Recent Switcher....My Story
It was a great read, thanks for that =)

How are you experiences so far with the MacBook?
Does it get dirty easily (on the back) and do the palmrests get 'sticky' after using it for a while?
QUOTE Thanks
Uchiha1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Get the MBP - I have the Black MacBook which I love to bits, but I always wished I'd spent a little more on a Pro.

However, wait until the end of next week - there is a rumor of a refresh being imminent, and if you can get an i7 or i5 in the machine, it's a huge jump of the Core 2.
Why would this be imminent?
The Core i3/i5/i7 machines (if announced) are going to be awesome I guess =)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« drastic computer display appearance change | Battery on Unibody Macbook Pro 13inch »