New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Easier to clone my HD...or use Time Machine??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newmacbrodude

newmacbrodude is on a distinguished road

Hey all....I can get a good price on a Seagate 500GB HD. Question is to those more experienced, would it be easier for me to run SuperDuper and clone my HD that way.....or would it be easier to install the OS on the new HD external, install it in my Macbook and transfer my files and backups from Time Machine....or am i confused as a new user? lol....thanks alll

Ohhhhh, 1 more thing. Is it possible to bump myself from 4gb of RAM to 6GB of RAM? I can get a good deal on a 2GB stick as well and bump from 4 to 6

BTW this is all on my new Macbook 6,1 PolyCarb uMB

Thanks Mac'sters!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Assuming that the Seagate is an internal drive, what you could do is buy an enclosure similar to this one and pop your new (blank) drive into it. Plug it in to your MB, clone your current drive to the new one using CCC or SD. Then when you swap drives, everything is already on there and you're ready to run.

Not sure about the RAM question, but you can wait for someone else to chime in or Google it.
QUOTE Thanks
Boybland

Boybland is on a distinguished road

Definately easiest to clone the drive and then swap them over.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Ohhhhh, 1 more thing. Is it possible to bump myself from 4gb of RAM to 6GB of RAM? I can get a good deal on a 2GB stick as well and bump from 4 to 6

BTW this is all on my new Macbook 6,1 PolyCarb uMB

According to Mactracker you can bump your memory up to 6 Gb. That would mean 1 x 2 Gb module + 1 x 4 Gb module = 6 Gb.

Not sure you need all that memory but if you can get it discounted and it's good memory, why not?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Assuming that the Seagate is an internal drive, what you could do is buy an enclosure similar to this one and pop your new (blank) drive into it. Plug it in to your MB, clone your current drive to the new one using CCC or SD. Then when you swap drives, everything is already on there and you're ready to run.

Not to doubt you MYmacROX, but how accurate is cloning the drive by doing it the way you described while doing this in regular operational mode in OSX?
I guess I'm still used to the Windoze way of either going SAFE mode or DOS mode for cloning/back up regular files and system files. Has anyone verified that CCC or SD is acccurate in cloning another HD? I guess I am paranoid about HD failure and want the best method for backup.
Thanks in advance.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have used Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility, and Super Duper to clone drives without issue. I do suggest that when the clone is finished you attempt to boot from it just to make sure that it is bootable. Of all the clones I have made I had one that did not boot properly. But that is one failure against I don't know how many successes.

The other suggestion that I would make is to make sure you are using a current version of whichever program you choose. From time to time there are changes to the underlying structure of OS X that older utilities (including cloning programs) do not manage properly.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A few photos of my fitted new Moshi MacBook Pro Keyboard cover | Should I take My MBP to the Genius Bar? »