Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
    Macbook Pro Ram Upgrade Questions
    I am a big web/graphic designer and am tired of my adobe suite sucking down my ram. I am going to go with 8GB of ram, but am torn on companies.

Crucial has an upgrade kit for 500 dollars...

OWC has an upgrade kit for 350...

and Kingston has a kit for 450...

Does anyone have experience with Crucial? I would rather pay more for a company that I can trust....

Any input would be very very helpful....

And does anyone have experience with this large upgrade from my current 4gb setup? Is it worth it?

I thank you all in advance for your input!

Specs:
    15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
    I've used Crucial for PC stuff, and it's ever let me down.

Here is a review on OWC (read on, people give opinions on the memory it self): OWC Ram Review - Mac Forums

I personally have Kingston in my MBP, i upgraded from 2GB to 4GB.

Specs:
    15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
    Thanks for such a quick response!

So, from what I understand, crucial makes their own ram, whereas OWC basically brands it with their name and it is generic ram (whatever is in the warehouse at time of sale)... Good to know.

Ram is ram I suppose?

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    My choice is crucial, kingston, or OWC branded.
    OWC is the way to go in my opinion!
    Go to their site, put in your specs in My OWC and go with them..... they offer great post sales service if something goes wrong!
    Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty

Specs:
    13 inch Macbook Pro Nov. 2009 4gb ram
    I just upgraded my Macbook Pro a few weeks ago to 4GB. I originally ordered it from OWC. One of the chips was defective, so I sent both back and bought 2 sticks of Mushkin ram locally at a cheaper price. They work perfectly, YMMV.

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    YMMV (your mileage may vary) .... hmmm

Specs:
    That is my only fear with OWC. I've read a few people with the same issue, although the failure rate i'm sure is very very very low, it can happen pretty much with any company I'm sure...

Thanks again for everyone's prompt response! ( tomorrow is my payday, and i need this ram before I start my major project this weekend.. )

I don't want to hijack this thread but since it's related I figured I'd ask. But how have the prices on these memory been trending in the last 6 months?

Specs:
    pretty steady in the 400-500 range

apple wants 800. its ridiculous.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by smithk2719 View Post
    That is my only fear with OWC. I've read a few people with the same issue, although the failure rate i'm sure is very very very low, it can happen pretty much with any company I'm sure...

Thanks again for everyone's prompt response! ( tomorrow is my payday, and i need this ram before I start my major project this weekend.. )
    Exactly it, you may have read of the few that had problems, but those are the minority, just like those with faulty Macs, those are also the minority.
    If you were to look at any product, no matter how good it is, or how reliable the supplier, there is always going to be something that slips by quality control when it comes to mass production.
    This is why I choose Macs, and OWC for hardware and accessories, as I know that if there is a problem, I will be treated like a customer, and not just a negative dollars number!

Quote Originally Posted by smithk2719 View Post
    pretty steady in the 400-500 range

apple wants 800. its ridiculous.
    Well a liver transplant isn't exactly cheap now-a-days. =p

Hehehe, thank you for the response. I've been on the fence, but decided to just upgrade my HDD instead.

I'll subscribe to this thread for more info in the future.

Specs:
    Yeah I've had this newest mac of mine for 8 months, and it is treating me amazingly, just need more ram for all of my photoshopping and web design stuff. HDD isnt gonna cut it for my needs =(

and 6string, that's kinda what I figured. for a 150 dollar price cut, OWC seems that it may very well be worth the time of day. =)

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15, I Phone 3GS, (27"IMAC !7, once they get the bugs out....I can wait)
    Can't go wrong with Crucial. Overnight delivery rates are reasonable. I have used it in both Macs and PC, never a problem. Beats the **** out of Apple's prices.

Specs:
    Though I liked crucial, I have decided to go with OWC for two reasons:

Number one, they're cheaper, and I've heard just as good of things from them as I have Crucial

Number two, The crucial memory listed on amazon had some technical specification issues, and neither crucial nor amazon could answer them for me...

So, my 8gb kit should be here tomorrow =)

Thanks to EVERYONE for your participation and advice. It means alot to me.

-Keegan

Thread Information