New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook G3 HD into a Powerbook G4: does amperage matter?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bdm

bdm is on a distinguished road

Ok, so at work my boss has been collecting data on a powerbook g3 from 2000. The thing finally crapped out, but the hard drive seems to be OK. I thought we could transfer the hard drive into a powerbook G4 we have laying around that has a bum drive, fire it up, copy all the data to an external drive, and move on.

While I was swapping out the drives, I noticed that both of the drives were rated at 5V, but the G3 HD was rated at .55A and the G4 at .7A.

I am not sure if this is a minimum current rating needed to operate the device, or a max?

My bottom line question is, do I risk blowing something if I try booting up the .55A rated HD in a machine who's original HD was rated at .7A?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
GregBrannon

GregBrannon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12" 1.33 GHz 768 MB OS X 10.5.8

So you're planning to put the G3 hard drive (0.55A) into the G4 computer that had a hard drive rated at 0.7A. The amperage rating for both drives is the average amperage drawn by that drive. The G3 drive draws less power - it is probably of less capacity, has fewer platters, or something - than the G4 drive, so the G3 drive should work just fine in the G4 computer.

You might have reason for concern if the rated power draw for the G3 drive was significantly more than the G4, but I bet that most drives made for a laptop would be work just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
bdm

bdm is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice! Gonna try firing it up now...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows HD in a Mac? | upgrading powerbook g4 processor ? »