New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

mac wont start up. blank white screen with ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jwwhlr

jwwhlr is on a distinguished road

hi everyone, new to the forums.

ive had this mac for ages and just have a problem ive never seen before.

upon start up a blank white screen shows up with a folder and within it is a ?

my friend has suggested that it might not be recognizing the hard drive?

correct?

also, what are the options of fixing it myself or for hire?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You didn't tell us which Mac you have?

Try starting the machine with your original install media. After it boots from the install disk, use Disk Utility to verify and repair the hard drive.

Post back with details so we can provide more assistance.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

This kind of behavior usually occurs when the Mac has somehow "lost" its connection to the System files on the hard drive. There are a couple of things that you could try.

1. Boot into single user mode by pressing Command S simultaneously immediately after bootup. When the text stops scrolling by type fsck-fy and press enter. When the process is finished repeat it if any errors remaining.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
jwwhlr

sorry. more info about the mac.

its a macbook from 2006.

upon boot up i tried ctrl and s, no response. does not recognize any command what so ever.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Follow my instructions from the first reply. Use your original install media to boot the machine. Escape from the install process and click on Utilities, Disk Utility from the top menu. Click on First Aid and run the verify and repair process. Let us know how that went.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Boybland

Boybland is on a distinguished road

If you haven't tried it already turn the machine on while holding down ALT.
If you still can't see the HDD try the suggestions above.
QUOTE Thanks
jwwhlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Follow my instructions from the first reply. Use your original install media to boot the machine. Escape from the install process and click on Utilities, Disk Utility from the top menu. Click on First Aid and run the verify and repair process. Let us know how that went.

Regards.
hi there, i have done this step and i get stuck just after i getthe first aid tab, its says to click verifications and it seems i do not have a "package".

any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« will a Lacoste messenger bag affect a mac book pro? | 2006 macbook »