New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

AC Adapter and battery life

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macblue

macblue is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2GHz 2GB ram

While the AC Adapter is plugged should I remove the battery to prolong its life or it doesn't matter ?

Thanks !
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

Even though you plug the computer into the wall, it still needs the battery in order to get power. There was a thread very similar to this a few days ago; looking through it should answer all your battery/AC questions:

i have a question i mainly use my macbook pro as desk top?

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
macblue

macblue is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2GHz 2GB ram

Thanks for the link ! It answered most of my questions. I just want to make sure that the AC Adapter does not have any impact on the battery life. Years ago I was advised to remove the battery if I was using my laptop only as a desktop. It was supposed to help extending the battery life. Since then I kept the habit but it's not all the time very practical. I did notice then an improvement on the overall battery life. Is this advise still relevant on my mac ?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It might be of some marginal benefit still, but the battery will degrade whether you use it or not, so overall the answer would be "no."

Plus, it would be kind of a downer to lose everything you were doing every time the power flickered because you didn't have a battery in.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Also of note, removing the battery and running off power only automatically underclocks your CPU in Apple notebooks. Not recommended.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the Keyboard Backlight attached to? | Apple Macbook Pro - Corporate Use/Support Role »