New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrading Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NJOHC

NJOHC is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
When I got my MBP for Christmas I thought a 250gb HD would be big enough, but it's filling up pretty quick. I haven't done anything like this before but am going to check out some videos showing how to do it. My question is, what do I have to do to get the Snow Leopard OS back on it and transfer all of my pics, videos, music etc. on the new one? This is what I'm hoping to get.
Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar 7K500 HD20500 IDK/7K 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Retail
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

THis is a good HD that you are upgrading to.
What you want is an external enclosure for your new HD which you can get from Newegg, OWC, or wherever you want.
Download this and clone the existing HD to the new HD in the external enclosure.
Once you have done this, you have your existing OS on your new HD exactly as it was, and you can then change your Hard drive, and you are done.
Go to iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts or youtube for teardown instructions if you need them.
QUOTE Thanks
foxj66

foxj66 is on a distinguished road

That is a good choice, i just put one in my Macbook a couple weeks ago. Also Carbon copy works great and having an enclosure for your old drive will let you use it as an external hard drive.

2.26 GHz White Unibody,160GB Intel X-25m, 8GB Ram, Mac mini 2.26GHz, 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, 4GB Ram
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

Jrmiller will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB

getting the same drive. good luck man. i think you'll be happy
QUOTE Thanks
NJOHC

NJOHC is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for the help! It looks like a very easy switch. I tried to get the back cover off last night and 2 of those screws are really tight! lol I didnt want to ruin them so I didn't try too hard.
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJOHC View Post
Thanks guys for the help! It looks like a very easy switch. I tried to get the back cover off last night and 2 of those screws are really tight! lol I didnt want to ruin them so I didn't try too hard.
At the end of every screws on mine, there are threading agent to hold the screws tighter. Give it a good twist but make sure you have the right size driver so as to not strip the head. I had problems with the two torque screws on the HD drive. I didn't have the right size screwdriver --T6. I had to use a pair of pliers on it instead.

Very easy just take your time...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro - Win 7 - What's your Experience Index? | Macbook Pro snow leopard issues »