New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Bricked 13" MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rigginglizard

rigginglizard is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

My MacBook has effectively been turned into a brick by a friend dropping something heavy on the keyboard. Anyway, trying to look on the bright side of things, I was wondering if there is anyway to reuse the display as a stand alone unit. If there is, cool. If not, oh well. I'm buying a new MacBook air next week anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

You can use the entire thing as a weapon by hitting your so-called friend with it. Seriously, the amount of "my computer was damaged/destroyed by being a goofball" these days makes my cry

Why isn't your friend buying a new one for you?
QUOTE Thanks
rigginglizard

My friend is giving the replacement cost of a new laptop, and I'm throwing in more to get a MacBook Air, which suits my needs better.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigginglizard View Post
My friend is giving the replacement cost of a new laptop, and I'm throwing in more to get a MacBook Air, which suits my needs better.
Whew! Okay! Otherwise I really would advocate a touch of the mudane violence.
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

Jrmiller will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB

might be a good idea to sell some of the usable parts. if you have no use for them
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you don't mind telling, what did your friend drop on the keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
rigginglizard

He dropped a 1" shackle, which weighs approximately 3 kg. from approximately 26 meters. I was fortunate in that the hard drive survived the impact. Yes I know i now have a $999.00 paperweight. I really want to know if I can resurrect the display as a stand-alone device, only because I think it would look really cool mounted on the wall.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I would have to say no on the display. It's designed to plug into the Macbooks motherboard.
QUOTE Thanks
rigginglizard

Well, thank you. I still think it would be really cool to set up said display as a separate monitor or picture frame or something along those lines. Oh well. Anyone want a 13" MacBook Display?
QUOTE Thanks
rigginglizard

It may be designed to work specifically with the motherboard, however, theory suggests that one must only supply power and data/signal to the display in order for it to work. Granted, I may just be completely insane, but oh well.
QUOTE Thanks
a6b8

a6b8 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i7 MBP, iMac, iPhone

I've had great luck selling parts on both craigslist & eBay.
QUOTE Thanks
mostro

mostro will become famous soon enough

Quote:
He dropped a 1" shackle, which weighs approximately 3 kg. from approximately 26 meters.
From 26 meters ?!?

Was he dropping it off an 8-story building?
QUOTE Thanks
rigginglizard

I am a rigger for a touring show, and he happened to be carrying the shackle over to another rigger. Needless to say he shouldnt have been carrying an unsecured object while in the air, but such is life. These things happen. Fortunately, no one was injured other than the Mac Book.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
I am a rigger for a touring show, and he happened to be carrying the shackle over to another rigger. Needless to say he shouldnt have been carrying an unsecured object while in the air, but such is life. These things happen. Fortunately, no one was injured other than the Mac Book.
Wow!

Well to me it's much better the Macbook got hit then some innocent person. It is a shame the MB was destroyed, but like you said, at least no person was hurt.
QUOTE Thanks
mostro

mostro will become famous soon enough

Quote:
ouch! of course it landed smack in the middle of your macbook, it wouldn't happen any other way!

anyway, i have seen macbook screens selling on ebay quite a bit, you can probably get some cash for it there. you could use it for some kind of project, but you'd need to figure out all the pinouts, solder the correct hardware to it, etc, unless you're really good with that stuff, probably not worth the effort.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« couple questions about my macbook ? | macbook pro heat »