Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Bricked 13" MacBook (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/193752-bricked-13-macbook.html)

rigginglizard 03-06-2010 11:44 PM

Bricked 13" MacBook

My MacBook has effectively been turned into a brick by a friend dropping something heavy on the keyboard. Anyway, trying to look on the bright side of things, I was wondering if there is anyway to reuse the display as a stand alone unit. If there is, cool. If not, oh well. I'm buying a new MacBook air next week anyway.

Jamie-Jamie 03-06-2010 11:54 PM

You can use the entire thing as a weapon by hitting your so-called friend with it. Seriously, the amount of "my computer was damaged/destroyed by being a goofball" these days makes my cry :(

Why isn't your friend buying a new one for you?

rigginglizard 03-07-2010 12:50 AM

My friend is giving the replacement cost of a new laptop, and I'm throwing in more to get a MacBook Air, which suits my needs better.

Jamie-Jamie 03-07-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigginglizard (Post 1013202)
My friend is giving the replacement cost of a new laptop, and I'm throwing in more to get a MacBook Air, which suits my needs better.

Whew! Okay! Otherwise I really would advocate a touch of the mudane violence.

Jrmiller 03-07-2010 12:53 AM

might be a good idea to sell some of the usable parts. if you have no use for them

dtravis7 03-07-2010 01:19 AM

If you don't mind telling, what did your friend drop on the keyboard?

rigginglizard 03-07-2010 01:25 AM

He dropped a 1" shackle, which weighs approximately 3 kg. from approximately 26 meters. I was fortunate in that the hard drive survived the impact. Yes I know i now have a $999.00 paperweight. I really want to know if I can resurrect the display as a stand-alone device, only because I think it would look really cool mounted on the wall.

dtravis7 03-07-2010 01:29 AM

I would have to say no on the display. It's designed to plug into the Macbooks motherboard.

rigginglizard 03-07-2010 01:43 AM

Well, thank you. I still think it would be really cool to set up said display as a separate monitor or picture frame or something along those lines. Oh well. Anyone want a 13" MacBook Display?

rigginglizard 03-07-2010 02:10 AM

It may be designed to work specifically with the motherboard, however, theory suggests that one must only supply power and data/signal to the display in order for it to work. Granted, I may just be completely insane, but oh well.

a6b8 03-07-2010 05:11 PM

I've had great luck selling parts on both craigslist & eBay.

mostro 03-08-2010 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigginglizard (Post 1013219)
He dropped a 1" shackle, which weighs approximately 3 kg. from approximately 26 meters.

From 26 meters ?!?

Was he dropping it off an 8-story building? :o ;)

rigginglizard 03-08-2010 05:23 AM

in carson

I am a rigger for a touring show, and he happened to be carrying the shackle over to another rigger. Needless to say he shouldnt have been carrying an unsecured object while in the air, but such is life. These things happen. Fortunately, no one was injured other than the Mac Book.

dtravis7 03-08-2010 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigginglizard (Post 1013863)
I am a rigger for a touring show, and he happened to be carrying the shackle over to another rigger. Needless to say he shouldnt have been carrying an unsecured object while in the air, but such is life. These things happen. Fortunately, no one was injured other than the Mac Book.

Wow!

Well to me it's much better the Macbook got hit then some innocent person. It is a shame the MB was destroyed, but like you said, at least no person was hurt.

mostro 03-08-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigginglizard (Post 1013863)

ouch! of course it landed smack in the middle of your macbook, it wouldn't happen any other way!

anyway, i have seen macbook screens selling on ebay quite a bit, you can probably get some cash for it there. you could use it for some kind of project, but you'd need to figure out all the pinouts, solder the correct hardware to it, etc, unless you're really good with that stuff, probably not worth the effort.