New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Power book g4 titanium upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

taylorray1

taylorray1 is on a distinguished road

Hey I just bought my first mac coputer and here r my specs. I'm planing on upgrding the memory to the 2gig max and i want to upgrade to mac os x leopard i hace read on some website you can only go to leopard if you have an intel processor but I have also read people using leopard on g4 mac power books so im highly confused so please help me

Detailed item info
Product MPN
MPN M8363B/A

Key Features
Processor PowerPC G4 667 MHz
Installed Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
Display 15.2 in. TFT Active Matrix
Operating System Apple MacOS X

Processor
Processor Type PowerPC G4
Processor Manufacturer Motorola
Processor Speed 667 MHz

Motherboard
Bus Speed 133 MHz

Display
Display Tech TFT Active Matrix
Display Size 15.2 in.
Display Color Support 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
Display Max. Resolution 1152 x 768

Hard Drive
Hard Drive Capacity 30 GB
Storage Controller Type IDE

Memory
Installed RAM 256 MB
RAM Technology SDRAM
Max Supported RAM 1 GB
Installed Cache Memory 256 KB

CD / DVD
CD / DVD Type DVD-ROM
Optical Drive Read Speed 24x (CD), 6x (DVD)

Video
Installed Video Memory 16 MB
Max. Video Resolution 1920 x 1440

Audio
Audio Output Type Sound card

Modem
Modem Type Fax / Modem
Analog Modulation Protocol ITU V.90

Networking
Networking Type Network Adapter
Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b

Battery
Battery Run Time 5 Hours
Battery Technology Lithium ion

Dimensions
Depth 9.5 in.
Height 1.02 in.
Width 13.44 in.
Weight 5.29 lb.

Miscellaneous
Input Method Keyboard, Keypad, Trackpad
Exterior Color Titanium
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

The Leopard OS can be used on PPC and Intel macs alike. Its the new Sno Leopard that you will find hard to run on a PPC machine as SL is ONLY for Intel Macs.

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks
macguy57366

macguy57366 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature.

Also, you may have to upgrade the processor in order for it to be compatible with Leopard. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the processor has to be at least 864 MHz, or something along those lines. Other than that, I'm fairly certain that you're good to go.

Zach H.
PowerMac G4 AGP graphics, Mac OSX 10.4.11, 512 MB RAM, 10GB HD, 802.11g network card, 400 MHz PowerPC processor, 500GB Western Digital External HD hooked up on FW400
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

Jrmiller will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy57366 View Post
Also, you may have to upgrade the processor in order for it to be compatible with Leopard. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the processor has to be at least 864 MHz, or something along those lines. Other than that, I'm fairly certain that you're good to go.
you are pretty close
Requirements for Mac OS X v10.5
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmiller View Post
you are pretty close
Requirements for Mac OS X v10.5
Also people should keep in mind that those are the minimum requirements and if a person wants Leopard to run decently they should get a faster computer. I still have my old 1GHz PowerBook 512GB RAM and it runs Leopard fairly decently. I wouldn't say it's anything to cheer about.

If a person really wants Leopard and wants and older Mac then they should really stay above 1GHz and have at least 1GB of RAM in my opinion. Anything slower and they might be disappointed in the performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorray1 View Post
I'm planing on upgrding the memory to the 2gig max and i want to upgrade to mac os x leopard

Max Supported RAM 1 GB
Are you sure you can upgrade to 2GB RAM? My PowerBook can only officially upgrade to 1GB. Usually Apple laptops can support more than the officially advertised amount but not much more. I don't know the unofficial amount your PowerBook can support. It would be a shame for you to waste money if you don't have to.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Also people should keep in mind that those are the minimum requirements and if a person wants Leopard to run decently they should get a faster computer. I still have my old 1GHz PowerBook 512GB RAM and it runs Leopard fairly decently. I wouldn't say it's anything to cheer about.

If a person really wants Leopard and wants and older Mac then they should really stay above 1GHz and have at least 1GB of RAM in my opinion. Anything slower and they might be disappointed in the performance.

Are you sure you can upgrade to 2GB RAM? My PowerBook can only officially upgrade to 1GB. Usually Apple laptops can support more than the officially advertised amount but not much more. I don't know the unofficial amount your PowerBook can support. It would be a shame for you to waste money if you don't have to.
I think your right, All titanium Powerbook' maxed out at 1GB RAM which is still functional. you would probably be better served with OSX 10.4 it will be fine for your needs and is still relevant.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unibody Macbook - recognizes monitor but doesn't send a signal | How To Clean My Mac OS-X OS ??? »