New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How Hot is too hot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PastorKenny

PastorKenny is on a distinguished road

I have a 18 month old MBP, I just installed the SMC Fan control app Before I used the app the temp was about 150 Degrees. Is that normal or too hot ??? Now its running about 115- 117 Degrees with the app.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

This is not an exact science!
It all depends what you are running.....
ie. Skype video chat will send it up there, watching flash, etc
There are so many variables. Apple laptops are designed to shut down if the temps get to high in order as to not damage the logic boards.
It is common for people to install these apps and get paranoid as they see the temps high or the fan running high.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

My Macbook runs about 110 degrees on average with smcfancontrol, I keep my fans set at 6000RPM. Have been doing this for about 3 years with no problems and my Macbook stays a lot cooler.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Are you guys talking Fahrenheit or Celsius?
As in Fahrenheit this a farely low temp, where as if you were talking Celsius then that would be considered pretty hot.
As for keeping fans at 6000rpm, that's working the fans pretty hard!
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

Jrmiller will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB

i run at about 125 normally.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Are you guys talking Fahrenheit or Celsius?
As in Fahrenheit this a farely low temp, where as if you were talking Celsius then that would be considered pretty hot.
As for keeping fans at 6000rpm, that's working the fans pretty hard!
Fahrenheit, Ya I know but it's just a fan and like I said I have been doing it for a few years. No problems what so ever.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Unless things have changed there are failsafes built in to keep it from damaging itself
do to overheating it should shut down and if your watching videos with flash it not uncommon for you to see temps of 150℉ and over.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Unless things have changed there are failsafes built in to keep it from damaging itself
do to overheating it should shut down and if your watching videos with flash it not uncommon for you to see temps of 150℉ and over.

If it's sitting on a desk 150 is not bad,But I always keep my Macbook in my lap so I got tired of the constant heat.

Don't get me wrong these machines are tough,Can take the high temps and long hours or even days of use. I just prefer mine to be a little cooler.
Other than a direct fall or liquid their is not much your going to do to these Macbooks.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
There really is NO NEED for you to EVER think about "fan control" and "heat management" on a Mac unless you believe the machine is defective.

This is just your opinion. Because someone uses fancontrol or some other form of cooling doesn't mean defective.Me personally I simply like to keep my Mac cooler when it sits on my lap. Plain and simple it has nothing to do with being defective or being difficult to grasp....
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
This is just your opinion. Because someone uses fancontrol or some other form of cooling doesn't mean defective.Me personally I simply like to keep my Mac cooler when it sits on my lap. Plain and simple it has nothing to do with being defective or being difficult to grasp....
I wasn't speaking to you but to the OP (of course).

Your reasoning for using SMC is sound, but I didn't say anything like "SMC is verboten," I said there's no rationale for using it to override Apple's design for the cooling system.

Apple *specifically says* not to use their notebooks on your lap (and tells you why). That's why they don't refer to them as laptops:
Apple - Support - MacBook - Care and Handling
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I will say that the base on my new MBP stays around 85℉ which far cooler than my 06
MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I wasn't speaking to you but to the OP (of course).

Your reasoning for using SMC is sound, but I didn't say anything like "SMC is verboten," I said there's no rationale for using it to override Apple's design for the cooling system.

Apple *specifically says* not to use their notebooks on your lap (and tells you why). That's why they don't refer to them as laptops:
Apple - Support - MacBook - Care and Handling
Ok, Fair enough.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
It is common for people to install these apps and get paranoid as they see the temps high or the fan running high.
I think the paranoia comes from people using human temperature comfort levels as a reference point. 100˚F seems hot to humans but for machines it's nothing. I wonder how paranoid people would be if they knew how hot their cars ran. If the heat is indeed uncomfortable then there are several ways to keep it running cooler as it's already been mentioned.
QUOTE Thanks
richard tj

richard tj is on a distinguished road

Recall reading an article that pointed to 170 Faranheit being about the cut off point. My MBP usually turns off if left on a desk for 6 hours- have background software that pushes the CPU to max all the time. Put a temp reader on it and it was running at 165 faranheit on average. This drops if I close down certain processor intensive apps like Photoshop, BOINC, dreamweaver etc. They're processor intensive because I'll work on 10 images at a time of 100 web pages open at once (before someone asks!)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« when is the best time to buy a macbook? | Unibody Macbook - recognizes monitor but doesn't send a signal »