New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Did I get a good deal? a.k.a. "score".

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whitehorse84

whitehorse84 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

last week I picked up a used (very gently, as for there isn't a mark on this thing) 15.4" 2.33ghz 2.5gb(ram) macbook pro. 120gb Hard Drive and the graphics card is a RadeonX1600 for $800.00

It came with it's box, DVDs, manual, remote, and upgraded OS to Snow Leopard (discs included as well as 09 iLife)

it's in pristine condition without a scratch on it and the battery cycle only reads 31 loads (new battery?).

I was curious as to what is my max limit on installed ram? will i really notice a huge difference?

right now it has a 2gb stick and a 512mb stick. Does that mean my limit will be 4gb?

Also, if i upgrade the HD to a 320gb 7200rpm drive (opposed to the stock 120gb 5200rpm drive) will that speed up application loading time? It's already pretty **** fast.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Your thread title says..."Did I get a good deal? a.k.a. "score""

It's kind of hard to give an opinion since you didn't tell us what you paid for it!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

The RAM is intended to run in pairs of equal size. You'll get better performance from 2X1GB sticks than what you have right now. To upgrade to 2X2GB sticks would be affordable. You're in the U.S. so it's gonna be roughly $90-$95 depending on the online retailer you purchase from.
I believe you can go as high as 2X4GB for a total of 8GB of RAM.

Yes, upgrading the HDD can speed things up slightly. 7200rpm will process faster than the stock 5400. Not to mention with the extra space, your Machine won't be bogged down and that will also help. However, the RAM is where the majority of the "speed" comes from.
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Your thread title says..."Did I get a good deal? a.k.a. "score""

It's kind of hard to give an opinion since you didn't tell us what you paid for it!

- Nick
I have no idea how I left that out.

I must have typed it, then backed over it when I changed something.

I paid $800.00 for it.
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
The RAM is intended to run in pairs of equal size. You'll get better performance from 2X1GB sticks than what you have right now. To upgrade to 2X2GB sticks would be affordable. You're in the U.S. so it's gonna be roughly $90-$95 depending on the online retailer you purchase from.
I believe you can go as high as 2X4GB for a total of 8GB of RAM.

Yes, upgrading the HDD can speed things up slightly. 7200rpm will process faster than the stock 5400. Not to mention with the extra space, your Machine won't be bogged down and that will also help. However, the RAM is where the majority of the "speed" comes from.
Thank you. I didn't know if 4gb was the max for this macbook pro or if I could ever jump into the realm of 8gb.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
traded

traded will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D 2.16

I'm fairly sure the max ram on this model is 3gig (based on the graphics card the post mentioned).
I'm still not sure whether 2 matched sticks of 1gig is better or worse than a 2gig and a 1 gig, but my intuition is that the 50% increase in capacity you get from 3gig may overcome the unbalance of the modules. Has this question been settled?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

That machine will not take 8 GB RAM.

You can put 4GB which is what I put in mine over 2 years ago, but it can only use 3 GB max.
Putting 4GB is merely for maintaining it's dual channel capability.
I used 2 x 2GB CAS 4 Corsair memory designed for the MBP. At that time, no one else had CAS 4 memory.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehorse84 View Post
I have no idea how I left that out.

I must have typed it, then backed over it when I changed something.

I paid $800.00 for it.
I would say that you got a decent deal. It's current value is around $880.

I purchased practically the same laptop (2.33ghz processor, 2 gig ram, new battery, 160 gig HD, X1600 graphics)...but with the 17" display about 7 months ago.

At the time it was worth around $1350...and I paid $725. Current value on mine is $1050.

So $800 for your 15" MacBook Pro was a decent deal...but I would not call it a "score". Still a very nice laptop with the dedicated graphics hardware & what appears to be a relatively new battery. You should be very happy with it!!!

Congrats,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help!!! Safe mode explanation | should i shut down my macbook pro every night or leave it asleep????? »