New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook hard drive upgrade. need thoughts.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jrmiller

Jrmiller will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB

so i have come close to filling up my original drive on my macbook and im in the market for something a bit better then what i have now.

current drive.
FUJITSU MHY2250BH
250 gig

budget.
$100

been looking at this
DIY KIT: 320GB 7200RPM HD for MacBook,... (OWCYWD3200BEKT) at OWC

thoughts? opinions?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Welcome to Mac Forums
You are better off with the 7K500 which newegg.com has cheaper than OWC Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar 7K500 HD20500 IDK/7K 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Retail compared to 500GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 7200RPM SA... (0S00157) at OWC
Great drive and within your budget.
3yr manufactures warranty
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

thanks man ton man.
how are the sound wise?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Super fast, quiet, and vibration free
The enclosure and tools will set you back about $20 total, but good to have for the future as well as for cloning your drive before swapping out, or a little more if you look for firewire enclosure.
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

awesome.
i might be making a purchase soon.
now i just have to find an enclosure that i like
QUOTE Thanks
6string

I think they are all much in the much.... they start from around $15 and aren't something that you are going to be looking at too often. So, the only real decisionis firewire or not.
Here's a start to your search
USB 2.0 2.5" SATA HD enclosures
HD Encosures
Firewire 400/USB 2.0 2.5" SATA HD
Firewire 400/USB 2.0 enclosures
QUOTE Thanks
6string

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/TOOLKITMHD/
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

is it worth getting the firewire? i mean is it that much faster or better that i should spend the extra money for it?
im dont know all that much about firewire
QUOTE Thanks
6string

I haven't got a firewire enclosure... but only because I've been lazy in not getting one.
They are a lot faster, and for the roughly $20 more than the USB on its own, certainly worth it.
If you have a clone of your HD and you use firewire external, you won't notice the drop in speed booting off the external, where as with just a USB external it is like waiting for the kettle to boil or toast to pop
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

hahaha i might just spring for it then

thanks for all the help
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Pleasure... before you change the HD, clone it with CCC or SuperDuper, and if you need any help or advice, don't be afraid to ask.
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Pleasure... before you change the HD, clone it with CCC or SuperDuper, and if you need any help or advice, don't be afraid to ask.
nice i have a copy of superduper allready
thumbs up
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Cool, just know that you can clone to the new HD in the external enclosure, and then swap it out and you're up and running
QUOTE Thanks
Jrmiller

yep i knew that part
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Thought you might, but had to add it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro snow leopard issues | cd/dvd drive not reading dvd's »