New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Maybe impossible screen question?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SuzukiChopper

SuzukiChopper is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone. A friend brought his Macbook pro (santa rosa model) to me to have the LCD replaced. He had to use a paper clamp in the corner for it to work properly so I knew the display was toast. The backlight was working fine on it though. Got the new display, hooked it up and tested before re-assembling everything well, just a nice dark display, no backlight. Ok, no problem I'll have an inverter overnighted and replace it. It got here today, put it in and still no backlight! External monitor works perfectly fine.

So here I am stuck looking that the board the cable for the LED backlight driver plugs in to. It's not the logic board and from what I've read is the IO board. I can order a new one and spend another $100 throwing parts at this thing but I'd rather test the output first. My question is would anyone know the pin out for that 5 pin connector and what voltages should on each pin? I've put a meter on it and have this:

Pin 1 (brown wire) - 0v (0 ohms to ground)
pin 2 (green wire)- 12v
pin 3 (red wire) - 5v
pin 4 (blue wire) - 0.05v (2.2 ohms to ground)
pin 5 (no connection) - 0v

I think my issue is with pin 4 (blue wire) but I'm not positive. If it's anything like an inverter for a CCFL then one pin (guessing pin 4) should be the control voltage for output (brighter or dimmer screen). No matter what I do, this pin stays right around 0.05v.

I guess to go along with this, if 0.05v isn't correct, what's the max voltage for that pin? Maybe I can hack around it to put the display at 80 - 90% brightness. (Yes I checked the software control when I had the external monitor hooked up, it's cranked and not 0).
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzukiChopper View Post
Hey everyone. A friend brought his Macbook pro (santa rosa model) to me to have the LCD replaced. He had to use a paper clamp in the corner for it to work properly so I knew the display was toast. The backlight was working fine on it though. Got the new display, hooked it up and tested before re-assembling everything well, just a nice dark display, no backlight. Ok, no problem I'll have an inverter overnighted and replace it. It got here today, put it in and still no backlight! External monitor works perfectly fine.

So here I am stuck looking that the board the cable for the LED backlight driver plugs in to. It's not the logic board and from what I've read is the IO board. I can order a new one and spend another $100 throwing parts at this thing but I'd rather test the output first. My question is would anyone know the pin out for that 5 pin connector and what voltages should on each pin? I've put a meter on it and have this:

Pin 1 (brown wire) - 0v (0 ohms to ground)
pin 2 (green wire)- 12v
pin 3 (red wire) - 5v
pin 4 (blue wire) - 0.05v (2.2 ohms to ground)
pin 5 (no connection) - 0v

I think my issue is with pin 4 (blue wire) but I'm not positive. If it's anything like an inverter for a CCFL then one pin (guessing pin 4) should be the control voltage for output (brighter or dimmer screen). No matter what I do, this pin stays right around 0.05v.

I guess to go along with this, if 0.05v isn't correct, what's the max voltage for that pin? Maybe I can hack around it to put the display at 80 - 90% brightness. (Yes I checked the software control when I had the external monitor hooked up, it's cranked and not 0).
Sorry I don't have an answer for you, But this seems very interesting, please keep us updated to your results. The only thing I can recommend that I do, Is purchase an entire display unit instead of just the LCD that way it's pretty much plug and play.
QUOTE Thanks
SuzukiChopper

SuzukiChopper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
Sorry I don't have an answer for you, But this seems very interesting, please keep us updated to your results. The only thing I can recommend that I do, Is purchase an entire display unit instead of just the LCD that way it's pretty much plug and play.
I would have done that but the cheapest new display and clamshell I found was ~$600. For this, the LCD was $187 and inverter $40. Even $70 for the IO board keeps the total repair just under $300.

I'm sure someone has this information and is willing to share it but if not then I'm breaking out my development board and am going to test that blue wire and go for broke. At least the inverter will protect the LCD worst case.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« should i shut down my macbook pro every night or leave it asleep????? | Problem with MBP 1.1 hard drive »