New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro screen doesn't turn on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JMBarry

JMBarry is on a distinguished road

Hey guys. I have a last gen MBP 15". One day I closes the lid, and when I came back a few hours later, I opened it and te screen did not come on.

I still had control over the volume and key lighting. I can hear it running. I checked to make sure that the contrast just wasn't cranked down.

I also tried to plug it into an external monitor, no use, no signal.

I read a different thread here about resetting the power managment. I tried that with no avail.

The only suspicious evidence I can offer is that the lid release button isn't all the way depressed. It still unlatches the lid, but it's sort of stuck halfway in. Not sure if that tells the mac my lid is closed or open.

Anyway, any suggestions would be helpful. I'll be bringing it into TekServ here in NYC next week.

Cheers,
James
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sounds like the graphics processor died. You mentioned that your MBP was a previous generation machine. Give Apple customer service a call and have your SN on hand. Your machine may be covered under a special extended warranty on the graphics processor. If it is, Apple will repair for free.

I would advise not taking it in to TekServ as there are Apple stores in NYC which would be better - and you can also find out about the extended warranty there rather than calling.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with my Macbook 13" Aluminum Display | why wont ichat update go in hard drive? »