New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Internal dialup modem broken / not functioning.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nozomimomi

My internal 56k modem is not responing any more. In the system profiler it does not show up under the "Modems" category. The profiler displays:

Modem Information:

Modem Model: Modem Driver Not Found

I take that the modem is broken. Or is it just missing a driver? That seems strange to me.

Anyway, if I can not fix it I need to get a new one. What external 56k modems work with OS X? Does anyone have any advice? I looked around but there does not seem to be much on the market.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Have you called Apple yet?
Something like that should be covered under your warranty, I would assume. How old is your iBook?
You can also try running the Hardware Test CD if you have it first. That may shed some more light on the situation if you have one.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
nozomimomi

My iBook is not under warranty any more. So sending it back to apple would probably be quite expensive. The geniuses at the genius bar said that the modem was for sure fried. Perhaps they are correct in this.

So, any modem suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
TonyJ

If you are adventerous and want to repair it yourself, you can obtain the parts from pbparts.com. http://www.pbparts.com/shop/n16v56.html might be the right part for you. It's not a cheap part though.

Or you can take it to an authorized repair center (Apple store or most resellers) and have them fix it.

Again, you could always try reloading the OS, zapping the PRAM and resetting the PMU if you feel it might not be hardware related.

Running the hardware test CD wouldn't be a bad idea either if you have it.
QUOTE Thanks
TonyJ

If you have one of the first Dual-USB iBooks, pbparts has this item:
http://www.pbparts.com/shop/n56.html
QUOTE Thanks
nozomimomi

I know very little about taking apart computers and putting them back together. Also, I am quite sure that the internal modem is dead.

Would it not be easier and cheaper to get an external USB modem? The internal modem was $150, surely there must be some external USB modems for OS X that are cheaper than that.

The crux of it all is that I would like to spend at the most $50 on this. Does it seem possible to get a fix at that price?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 23" cinema work ok with 17" pb? | screen question »