New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook woes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mb2006

mb2006 is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook 2,1 (OSX 10.6.2 4GB RAM 250GB HDD) that has been extremely slow after every boot. The problem seems to be after any boot there is a period of 5-20 mins where I get nothing but beachballs and freezing apps.

I have run both memtest and the Apple Hardware Diagnostics extended test(both came back no errors), I have also reinstalled OSX 10.6. Nothing seems to be helping. I have tried swapping in different RAM chips and testing each chip individually. I have also been searching the web and I have been unsuccessful in finding a solution. Most others seem to either have a slow boot or slow all the time. My problem is that it boots fine but is slow for some amount of time until and then speed up to where I would expect it to be.

I have nothing on my desktop I do not have anything suspicious running at boot and using 'top' I find nothing taking up massive amounts of resources. If anyone has seen a solution or has suggestions that I can follow please let me know. If you can point me in the right direction I'd be more than happy to be on my way.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Welcome to Mac Forums
I don't know if you just reinstalled 10.6 or did a clean install, which is the way I would have gone if reinstalling to test things out.
In preference to top, I'd go to activity monitor and have a look there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« In the market for a used/new macbook | Macbook black screen, no chime, solid white light »