New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Boot into External HDD wirelessly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mshravan_020

mshravan_020 is on a distinguished road

I have recently brought WD My Passport Essential Ultra-portable Hard Drive with capacity 500 GB. I have made it into 4 partitions and installed Snow Leopard in one partition. Am able to connect this external HDD via USB port to my laptop and boot into Snow Leopard OS in the external HDD.

However, I'm trying to find a solution where-in I don't need to plug-in the external HDD into my laptop USB port and boot thereafter, rather I would like to boot into external HDD/ access it over WiFi or wirelessly. I have a NetGear router which is configured to provide Internet to my laptop.

Let me know if need any other details.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance for any of your suggestions.

Shravan Kumar. M
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Hello and welcome aboard.
Unfortunately the answer to your question is no. When your Mac or any computer boots there are a very limited amount of commands it will accept as it is not running off an OS at the time. And WiFi ( AirPort card) is not a bootable devive but rather software driven.

Sorry
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
mshravan_020

Thanks for your reply Clay. Its unfortunate my problem has no solution. I wish there would a solution for my problem in the near future.
QUOTE Thanks
mshravan_020

BTW, is there a way to access my external HDD wirelessly (not boot into) from my MacBook Leopard/ SnowLeopard! This is so that, I can run backups or time machine, I heard Time Capsule has this capability but can I do the same with my external HDD?
QUOTE Thanks
grnvlmike

grnvlmike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive

If your wireless router has a USB, such as an Apple airport extreme, you can or set up a wireless network with an el-cheapo 2nd computer :-)
QUOTE Thanks
mshravan_020

Hmm! again another computer into picture...

I just want to connect my external HDD to NetGear router (this has just ethernet sockets, may be I have to get an adaptor to convert ethernet socket to USB port) and mount the external HDD in my laptop. Is this possible? No extra computer please!
QUOTE Thanks
grnvlmike

You can get a wireless usb hub, an external hard drive ethernet adapter. Just search newegg, compusa, or owc for those terms. D-Link and Linksys both make a couple of options, but your looking probably $75 +
QUOTE Thanks
mshravan_020

Cool! Thanks for your suggestions Mike.
QUOTE Thanks
grnvlmike

No problem. You still won't be able to boot from it, but you can use it like a server drive. Now, you are limited to the speed of your ethernet setup, so keep that in mind also...
QUOTE Thanks
mshravan_020

Is the drive access speed acceptable? What if both Internet usage and drive usage are at same time, is the speed constant?

Yeah, I want this setup, so I can use my external drive to take backups using Time Machine or any other suitable backup software!
QUOTE Thanks
grnvlmike

Your connection from your wireless router to your computer is going to be much faster than say, sending it over the net. You are not dealing with ISP bandwidths, traffic, etc... Your first time machine backup you may want to do with it hooked up directly to your computer as it may be gigs of info... after that, its just incremental so its not that bad.. I have an external hooked into my airport extreme that holds all my media and stream movies and music from it to my laptop all the time and keep my entire itunes library on it.
QUOTE Thanks
mshravan_020

Okay! That is nice to accept Mike.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook troubles | Powerbook G4 HD replacement question »