New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP 13" popping sound closing lid.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tenashus1

tenashus1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7

I've started noticing that when I close the lid on my MBP 13" I get this loud popping sound frequently on the right hand side - as if it needs 3 in 1 oil or something. It's like a joint popping. I'm a bit concerned about this. Doesn't hamper closing the lid, but it's almost painful to hear. It almost feels as if it's being forced as I'm closing it. Any reason for legitimate concern do you think? BTW, this happens under normal use. MBP has been handled very gently and does not get transported.
QUOTE Thanks
clearercape

clearercape is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 tower, powerbook, macbook pro (and a few more)

Hi there
Have you tried muting the mac before closing the lid. Do you still get the pop when you do that?

If you still get the pop there might be a lose or exposed cable at the speakers. Closing the lid does put a lot of strain around the hinges which happen to be where the speakers are.

If it happens all the time it is worth getting looked at. If you are out of warrantee it shouldn't be too costly. Unless you are willing to put up with the noise!
QUOTE Thanks
tenashus1

tenashus1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7

For the benefit of anyone who happens to run into this issue, I did contact Apple support. The expert on the phone with me heard the hinge creaking over the phone and told me I should definitely take it in for repair. Apparently, this can occur with the MBP 13". Besides the creaking hinge sound, the lid also requires some extra force to close. Thanks to the above poster for the response. I will update post repair. Still under warranty as I bought the computer in July of 2009.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cd/dvd rom | Sleep light blinking on Macbook »