New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

White Macbook non unibody

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jagov

jagov is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine just bought a white mac book non unibody brand new because they were on sale for 699.99. My question is if yellowing and cracking hinges still are an occurring problem in the more recent production models or have these problems been fixed. i tried searching but all the information i found pertained to the problem when it first came out, and being new to the mac world myself i don't want to give out bad information. thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

It's slightly better in the newer models, but on occasion when there is a cracking problem, Apple are very good in looking after it.
As for the yellowing, I have a late 07 MB, and any discoloration which there may me is unnoticeable. Just need to practice cleaning the keyboard and surrounds with a damp (NOT WET) cloth dipped in mild detergent, or using baby wipes, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Wouldnt worry about it mate as i have the 2008 model and im a grub and ruff around the edges and im still happy with mine.
Hinge is as strong as the day i bought it and as with my friend says above need to learn how to clean it more often

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

There you go ......if you can't trust a self confessed grub who's rough around the edges, who can you trust?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
There you go ......if you can't trust a self confessed grub who's rough around the edges, who can you trust?
ohh you talking bout me ? (looks around) you talking bout me ?? You must be talking bout me as i cant see anyone else around ....

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagov View Post
A friend of mine just bought a white mac book non unibody brand new because they were on sale for 699.99. My question is if yellowing and cracking hinges still are an occurring problem in the more recent production models or have these problems been fixed. i tried searching but all the information i found pertained to the problem when it first came out, and being new to the mac world myself i don't want to give out bad information. thanks in advance.
I have one from 2007, and the cracking is a very, very, very serious issue. I recently managed to get my top cover replaced for free by Apple, but also after a lot of bargaining and reasoning with them. I have cracks everywhere - from the bottom case to the bezel itself, and I have never dropped it before. There are serious design flaws associated with this model of Macbook, I must say, and I don't think they have been resolved.

The yellowing isn't that big a problem because I have a clear plastic protector on the palm rest area, and I clean my keyboard pretty often. At such, it isn't too difficult to clean it yourself. I find that a soft eraser does the job very well for the most part. If you want it to be cleaner than that, use a damp cloth.

If you really like the white design, I'd say fork out a bit more money and get the Unibody design out there. I'm not sure of the durability of that one, but it sure looks a lot more sturdy than what I have now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Broken MacBook | Question Mark When Booting Macbook? - Apple Extends Warranty For 2006-2007 Macbooks!! »