New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Decisions Decisions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dominion

Dominion is on a distinguished road

Well I finally sold off my PC and soon I'll be ready to buy my new powerbook. But I'm stuck, it seems like there are lots of options. Most likely I'll be putting the powerbook on a credit card (assuming my app passes ) so money might not be the issue. The biggest issue is which do I need.

I'm trying to decide between the 15in and 12in with superdrives. What i plan on doing with my powerbook is the standard. e-mail web, homework, light photoediting and webdesign (nothing intensive, just editing files when needed, mostly photoshopping) and WoW. WoW is actually kind of important factor as well, I need something that will play WoW decently. With that in mind should I go with the 15inch (which is slightly faster in some components) or should I go with the 12inch with superdrive. OR should I go with a slower 15in with the superdrive update.

I'm a little lost because of the speeds. I'm so used to AMD and intel specs
QUOTE Thanks
embries

I've looked at this too. I decided on the 12" based on the fact that although the 15" has a better video card, it also has a higher resoloution to be driven by that video card. The widescreen aspect ratio makes it hard to take WoW down in resoloution to help out the video card. Therefore I think the 12" will run the game smoother in the end. However, the whole game changes if you intend to drive an external monitor. I think, when it's all said and done, that the 12" gets the win for the portability. I've been back 3 times now to look at the size difference between the 12" and the 15" and I keep coming back to the fact that I think the 15" is too large to carry around. I think I'd be hesitant to pull it out in many of my classes because of the ammount of room it'd take up on the desk. The 12" affords a more compact frame, therefore I'd be more apt to carry it and use it, thereby making it a better purchase for me. I hope this helps in some way, as I was just considering the same things that you're talking about.
QUOTE Thanks
meatychi

I too had this problem when I bought my first PB!

The 17" way too large and not that portable! The 12" most compact BUT...........

15" was my final decision at the time I was in the states so I went all the way and bought the top end superdrive and video card. I have experienced no problems with the portability of the 15" and if you were to buy the 12" I think you would only ponder on whether the 15" would have been a better choice.

Widescreen all the way!
QUOTE Thanks
Dominion

Hehe, As for the screen res, I'm used to the 1024 of a laptops as that's my current laptop. I do have a 19inch LCD that I'll be using when I'm home with the laptop and not wanting to sit in the living room or somewhere else heh.

If I get the 12inch and hookup my 19inch, can I increase the size? If not then most likely i'll go with the 15 inch. Even though the 12 in much more inconspicous etc for class
QUOTE Thanks
flyingpostman

I find the 12" makes a fantastic "living room" computer. I already have a 20" iMac that I use for all the storage/gaming/etc. The 12" is great to have on your lap, and you can even lay down and have it on on your stomach and use it. Most importantly I can easily pass it ONE handed (in a very safe manner -- you may be able to do this with a 15" but it isn't safe) to my wife to show her something on the computer, or when she wants to steal it from me. Also because of its size I can balance it and use the track pad with one hand (thumb underneath the trackpad, fingers on the trackpad itself), while the other hand holds the cat so it won't walk all over the keyboard. It is a small screen, but is perfect for browsing the web, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Well, I love my 17" Powerbook, and for those who have used them, they can be quite portable! ok, I try.

I personally think that 12" is waaaaaay too small of a screen, expecially if you'll do much photoshopping like you said.

If you can afford it, I'd go with the 15" PB with the upgraded Vid Card, that will run WoW great. My 17" PB is pretty much the same computer as that (just with a bigger screen), and I have upped to 1GB ram, and WoW plays great.

As a suggestion, as you may be new to Macs, don't buy your Ram (if you upgrade that) from apple, you can get it for much cheaper from a third party, and it's really easy to install.
QUOTE Thanks
Ex_PC_Puke

Buy the 12" for its mobility and buy a nice 17" DVI LCD for home use with a USB kybd and mouse -- best of both worlds
QUOTE Thanks
Dominion

Yea, I've been using and building PCs for years and I've noticed that apples memory is EXPENSIVE So I plan on buying my own, I wish theyd take out the 256 stick and let me just have the built in, I could buy almost a gig for the same price =/

Question about the pb's and memory. PC's have the problem that if you mismatch memory (brands, sizes, speeds, etc) that the memory will have problems communicating with each other. How true is this for the powerbook. For example can I use the built in and a 512 or more stick of Corsair (my memory of choice) will I need to 100% match the memory (which a 100% is impossible because of different sizes).

This is what I plan on doing, my budget is around 1600-1700, I'm going to get the powerbook 12inch with superdrive and iWork, that and a bag (which by the way if anyone knows of a good messanger style bag thats inconspicous and doubles as a backpack for school, please share ) for around that. MAYBE be able to squeeze an ipod mini in there using the school discount

I already have the 19inch LCD,keyboard/mouse so thats no biggie

Are there much differences between iWork and iWork Student Edition?
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

there is problem mixing memory!

wat the **** is WoW?

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
Dominion

WoW is World of Warcraft. www.worldofwarcraft.com

As for the memory, on PC's yes. Memory that is mixed will either flat out not work or one module will EVENTUALLY go bad. Way back in the day I ran a stick of crucial and a stick of Kingston. One day I started having lots of problems, pulled out the king and it worked fine, pulled out the crucial and used the kingston and it worked fine, together I had the problem. Bought another stick of crucial that matched and was fine. On top of that here recently I've spent a couple years doing tier 2 support for ASUS Tech and LOTS of people would call in with different memory having problems

I guess I didn't have to go so into detail, but I figured what the hey
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

Why a Powerbook, If you want a steal i am letting go my just about new iBook 1.33GHZ G4 for only $850 which includes shipping. Its a 14", has the combo drive, and I added an extra 512MB of RAM, has the airport in it and still in its original box with everything it came with. Oh and Apple care is also included.

AcillATmac.com if interested.
QUOTE Thanks
Dominion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acill
Why a Powerbook, If you want a steal i am letting go my just about new iBook 1.33GHZ G4 for only $850 which includes shipping. Its a 14", has the combo drive, and I added an extra 512MB of RAM, has the airport in it and still in its original box with everything it came with. Oh and Apple care is also included.

AcillATmac.com if interested.
It HAS to be able to play wow. iBooks don't do that very well. That's why a powerbook.
QUOTE Thanks
macman88

macman88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram

world of warcraft works fine on ibook. i thought that it wouldn't work on my ibook (see specs) but it played fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« lets talk wireless.. | Disappointed. »