New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

close lid without going to sleep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsales

rsales is on a distinguished road

hi i want to have my macbook closed and use an external display

how do you do when you want that? how do you prevent your mac from going to sleep, but staying with the monitor turned off and connected to an external display?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Once your MB is on and connected to the TV, turn the TV on. Then you can set it up for mirroring or just drag your various windows over to the TV so they are on there. Then what you'll do is close the MB lid. Wait about 10 seconds, use a mouse (wire or wireless doesn't matter) to "wake up" the MB. Just move the mouse around and the display will wake up and show up on your television. Easy as pie.
One warning, I've noticed my MBP kind of freaks out if you don't reverse the steps in a precise order. When done, I open the MBP lid, turn off the TV, let the MBP display show up, and then disconnect the cables. Don't know why, but it doesn't seem to like it when I do it any other way.
QUOTE Thanks
benuathanasia

benuathanasia is on a distinguished road

My question is similar. I need to be able to close the lid while I'm converting files, downloading files, etc. It's imperative that the lid be closed while I'm not actively babysitting the laptop because I have two cats drawn to the warmth of keyboards.

I have a 13" macbook pro, no mouse other than the trackpad, and didn't understand anything about the "mirroring" you mentioned. (I'm a former PC user, so I'm obviously not the brightest when it comes to computers...it's okay, I'm in rehab).
QUOTE Thanks
rsales

rsales is on a distinguished road

thanks MYmacROX

it solved everything!
QUOTE Thanks
degraffb

degraffb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benuathanasia View Post
My question is similar. I need to be able to close the lid while I'm converting files, downloading files, etc. It's imperative that the lid be closed while I'm not actively babysitting the laptop because I have two cats drawn to the warmth of keyboards.

I have a 13" macbook pro, no mouse other than the trackpad, and didn't understand anything about the "mirroring" you mentioned. (I'm a former PC user, so I'm obviously not the brightest when it comes to computers...it's okay, I'm in rehab).
So I wanted to do the same thing and after some investigation I found that you need to have a program to do it. So here is a link to the one I am currently using, it works great. semaja2

Hope it works for you.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by degraffb View Post
So I wanted to do the same thing and after some investigation I found that you need to have a program to do it. So here is a link to the one I am currently using, it works great. semaja2

Hope it works for you.
^^Not true.
Someone is trying to illicit traffic to their website. 1 post from this person and it's to get you to use their "program"?

You can use your MB with lid closed to do anything you want. As I mentioned earlier it will take at the very least an external mouse. I use a wireless with a usb "transmitter" thingy. Obviously if you are typing, you'll need a physical keyboard too. Sorry I didn't get back on the mirroring, but it's kinda hard for me to explain in words. If you're able to connect your notebook to your tv or monitor, just play with the settings in System Preferences>Displays. You'll see what the different settings do. That's how I figured it out. It's not rocket science, I promise. And you don't need to download any additional apps.
QUOTE Thanks
degraffb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
^^Not true.
Someone is trying to illicit traffic to their website. 1 post from this person and it's to get you to use their "program"?

You can use your MB with lid closed to do anything you want. As I mentioned earlier it will take at the very least an external mouse. I use a wireless with a usb "transmitter" thingy. Obviously if you are typing, you'll need a physical keyboard too. Sorry I didn't get back on the mirroring, but it's kinda hard for me to explain in words. If you're able to connect your notebook to your tv or monitor, just play with the settings in System Preferences>Displays. You'll see what the different settings do. That's how I figured it out. It's not rocket science, I promise. And you don't need to download any additional apps.
Actually I wanted to shut my MBP lid without having it go to sleep and I don't want to have to hook up a usb mouse and keyboard to do that. I tried looking through all the system settings multiple times and looked into what you just posted here and that was no help either, there is no place to modify any settings that have to do with closing the lid. Yes, that was only my first post but that's merely because I just purchased a MBP within the last few weeks and I had no other reason to join this forum until doing so.

An for you information, I did a search in through this forum on this subject and got this program (which does the trick quite well) from another user who wanted this feature on their MBP as well. Maybe you should download it and give it a try, it's actually very simple, something I appreciate.
QUOTE Thanks
clearercape

clearercape is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 tower, powerbook, macbook pro (and a few more)

No apps required. Just make sure you have an external monitor connected and the external monitor is selected as the main screen (it is best to switch mirroring on as the laptop screen will remain active when the lid is closed in the curser could run over into it) you just then close the lid and move the mouse about the monitor will light up.
QUOTE Thanks
degraffb

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearercape View Post
No apps required. Just make sure you have an external monitor connected and the external monitor is selected as the main screen (it is best to switch mirroring on as the laptop screen will remain active when the lid is closed in the curser could run over into it) you just then close the lid and move the mouse about the monitor will light up.
That's only if you have an external monitor connected right? Because I don't and want to close the lid without the MBP going to sleep and I don't want to use any other peripherals either to accomplish this. So far I have only found solutions that include using an application.
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by degraffb View Post
That's only if you have an external monitor connected right? Because I don't and want to close the lid without the MBP going to sleep and I don't want to use any other peripherals either to accomplish this. So far I have only found solutions that include using an application.
Closed clamshell mode is the only way built in, but you need to have an external monitor and another peripheral.

Apple Support on Closed Clamshell mode

Show some Love give Reputation Reputation FAQ
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Any of the 3rd party apps are a major problem!
Other than keeping the display on when you shut the lid and cooking your Mac, they also have a tendancy to mess with the OS. I would certainly stay away from them, but do hope to hear of a solution of what you are looking for, other than peripherals or apps like caffeine, InsomniaX or Sleepless.

*Anyone who comes into this thread, please note:
Wishing to.....
-Shut lid
-Sleep display
-No peripherals
-3rd party app if it sleeps display, and doesn't mess with OS

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

I've been using InsomniaX for ages, never had a problem.

Turn brightness down to min so back light goes off, close lid, works fine.

What problems have you had 'messing with the OS'?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

A lot of users, myself included, have had problems with not being able to adjust sleep settings with it installed, forcing a reboot, and odd sleep behaviour when it was disabled.
As well as that, the heat build up can get pretty extreme with the lid closed for extended periods.
The biggest problem is if the user forgets to disable it when the machine is being transported in a case or bag, and frying the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

Never encountered the sleep problems, been lucky I guess.

The closed lid heat issue will affect anyone using or not using a 3rd party app but using it lid closed with an external monitor surely?

The 'user error' problem is going to affect any solution, 3rd party or otherwise.

So the only real issue is the software 'clashing' with either OSX or another combination of installed apps which affects some users.

Worth the OP trying a 3rd party app and seeing if it's a problem. Can always uninstall.

Unless someone know a built-in method?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
6string

I believe that sleep is being activated when the lid is closed by sensors of a sort by the magnets that make contact when it is closed.
Therefor, I figure that if these apps can work around it and bypass this action, then there must be a way to what the OP wants.
I would still love to hear of a way to do this without a third party app!

In saying that, I just came up with a work around.
You could use one of these InsomniaX type of apps, and then use a hot corner to sleep the display before closing lid.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about MacBook Battery Cycles and Health | Why no Matte option for 13" Macbook »