New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook 13" Liquid Damage. Need LVDS cable

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

socalfate

socalfate is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook 13" unibody model number: A1278 with liquid damage. About 6 months ago I knocked a bottle of water over on my keyboard. I quickly unplugged the computer, and let dry. 3 days later the computer turned back on and worked fine for about 4 months. The computer display would then not turn on at all unless I opened and shut the screen once or twice to get a display light and the screen to work. After about 2 weeks of that, the screen did not come on at all whether I opened and closed the display a few times or not. I took my MB to bestbuy geek squad which sent out to Apple for repairs. Apple then contacted me saying that there was liquid damage and it could not be replaced. Apple claims there is liquid damage to the logic board and LCD assembly. The estimated repair cost is 2,154.90 which is obviously not even the price of the computer. Apple claims I need a new logic board and LVDS cable. When I power on my computer, I hear it starting up and hear the start up chime. If I wait for the computer to start up, enter my password and push enter the computer keyboard functions work (caps lock, volume, ect) as if the computer has started normally but with no display. If I insert a cd into the computer, it plays. The only problem I see is the display screen not working. I am not sure if I need a logic board replacement or not. I'm thinking I only need the LVDS cable replacement for the screen to work again. I have looked online and couldn't find a LVDS cable for my specific model (A1278). Any advice or help would be great.

Thanks,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The LVDS cable may only be a temporary fix - if you can find one. The problem with liquid spills is that damage doesn't always show up until much later on. It's possible that corrosian could form on the logic board later on. (Maybe, maybe not.)

Anyway, where did you look for the cable? Did you try these places:

The ifixit web site.

Here.

And here.

And here.

Good hunting.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

If Apple said that you need a new logic board and you don't believe them, believe me.
Your mac is showing the symptoms that come down the line, if not immediately of the liquid damage.
Save your money and time, and start looking towards getting a new machine, and sell what you can salvage as parts, as this way you will get back a descent chunk of the money you need to replace the unit.
QUOTE Thanks
mouseandcat

mouseandcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
If Apple said that you need a new logic board and you don't believe them, believe me.
Your mac is showing the symptoms that come down the line, if not immediately of the liquid damage.
Save your money and time, and start looking towards getting a new machine, and sell what you can salvage as parts, as this way you will get back a descent chunk of the money you need to replace the unit.
i do agree corrosion is a problem. although one question to ask is if you've opened it up and checked if the logic board is indeed shorted or just not functioning.

as in routers/phones other smaller devices, anything that conducts electricity could cause tons of problems. but with a thorough cleaning, that could get stop any corrosion that may otherwise take place.

if you're inclined to venture down the DIY route (and want to/have time to mess around w/ the laptop), it's best to assume that the logic board isn't beyond repair, otherwise it's game over (unless you have access nice labs with nice equipment).....
QUOTE Thanks
Ernestkarelia

Ernestkarelia is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac,Macbook Pro

Liquid Damages are the worst! Doesn't damage your computer at first.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Offset Screen | Change superdrive »