New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

need help with new hdd drive


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
quin

 
quin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 19, 2009
Posts: 432
quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

quin is offline
Hi
Macbook Pro 13 2.26, 2GB, 160hdd

Bought a Hitachi Travelstar 500GB 7200 rpm 2.5" to replace the 160hdd internal. Plan to use SuperDuper to clone the Hitachi drive. Plugged in my Hitachi to UDB 2.0 with an external enclosure. Ran SuperDuper but it doesn't have the new drive in the destination selection, so I'm pretty sure I need to format the new drive first. But I'm not familiar enough about my MBP to select the right option in 'Dish Utility'. Please help. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
grnvlmike

 
grnvlmike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 14, 2010
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 70
grnvlmike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive

grnvlmike is offline
It's a pretty simple process. Go into disk utility and on the left side, click on your external drive. On the right side you will now see info about that drive. Click erase (mac's version of format) and use the journaled option.. Make sure you have chosen the external drive!!!!!!! Start the erase. Wait the 10 seconds and it will give you a completed drive erase. You dont have to worry too much about settings as superduper will erase and set up the drive again for you to prepare it for the cloning. You just have to get superduper to see the drive ;-) enjoy...
QUOTE Thanks
quin

 
quin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 19, 2009
Posts: 432
quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

quin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnvlmike View Post
It's a pretty simple process. Go into disk utility and on the left side, click on your external drive. On the right side you will now see info about that drive. Click erase (mac's version of format) and use the journaled option.. Make sure you have chosen the external drive!!!!!!! Start the erase. Wait the 10 seconds and it will give you a completed drive erase. You dont have to worry too much about settings as superduper will erase and set up the drive again for you to prepare it for the cloning. You just have to get superduper to see the drive ;-) enjoy...
Thanks for the reply I did a Google and got the tip from there. But I appreciate the post just the same. Got it done. But don't want to 'break' into my MBP to replace the drive, it's too beautiful
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

 
Member Since: Jan 30, 2010
Posts: 107
Tbone is on a distinguished road

Tbone is offline
I was going post a similar question. What is the difference between the 5400 and 7200 rpm hdd's? The 500GB hdd is available in both rpm ratings wth a $30 price difference for the 7200, is it worth the extra? I assume the MBP will support either.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Down Under :D
Posts: 5,484
6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

6string is offline
If you do go ahead, go to iFixit and follow their step by step guides.
MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Teardown - iFixit
Installing MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Hard Drive - iFixit
QUOTE Thanks
6string

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Down Under :D
Posts: 5,484
6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

6string is offline
here's a better guide http://eshop.macsales.com/installvid..._unibody_hd_h/
QUOTE Thanks
quin

 
quin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 19, 2009
Posts: 432
quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

quin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
I was going post a similar question. What is the difference between the 5400 and 7200 rpm hdd's? The 500GB hdd is available in both rpm ratings wth a $30 price difference for the 7200, is it worth the extra? I assume the MBP will support either.
I will tell you if it's worth it once I get mine into the MBP first hand

On reading before I decided on the 7200 instead of the 5400, there are some that said the speed increase may cause vibration, noise, and more power drain. But people that actually have it installed said vibration and noise aren't noticeable, and the power drain is also minuscule. I'll let you know after installation and use.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Down Under :D
Posts: 5,484
6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

6string is offline
Quin, be sure to go with that second link I gave you MacBook Pro Hard Drive (High Quality) Installation Video at OtherWorldComputing.com ... it's much clearer, and very simple
QUOTE Thanks
quin

 
quin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 19, 2009
Posts: 432
quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

quin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Thanks, I just need to look in my tool box to find a small enough torx screwdriver. Just curious how much faster a 7200rpm will be compare to the 5400 ones. Had to turn on my HP while my drive was cloning. Took 10minutes just to boot up the notebook and firefox. The more I use my MBP the more I start to hate my PC. Vista gave me 8 more updates for good measure after I shutdown.
QUOTE Thanks
grnvlmike

 
grnvlmike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 14, 2010
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 70
grnvlmike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive

grnvlmike is offline
You will see benefits from the 7200 when you start dealing with larger files, backups, encoding, and a small benefit in bootup times.
It's won't be a "holy crapola" kind of moment, but in certain circumstances, you will definitely notice a difference!
QUOTE Thanks
Bandit390

 
Member Since: Aug 22, 2009
Posts: 24
Bandit390 is on a distinguished road

Bandit390 is offline
I used this video..

YouTube - Guide: How To Swap / Upgrade Hard Drive / HDD and RAM / Memory In A 2009 Apple MacBook Pro 13"
QUOTE Thanks
quin

 
quin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 19, 2009
Posts: 432
quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

quin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
I will tell you if it's worth it once I get mine into the MBP first hand

On reading before I decided on the 7200 instead of the 5400, there are some that said the speed increase may cause vibration, noise, and more power drain. But people that actually have it installed said vibration and noise aren't noticeable, and the power drain is also minuscule. I'll let you know after installation and use.
Installed the Hitachi Travelstar 500GB 7200 rpm. Hardly any vibration problem. There is a very slight tickle to the palm when it spins and get up to speed but nothing major. Very quiet, can only hear it in a totally silent room. Not much battery drain either, although battery indicator aren't totally accurate for me to tell. Getting about the same 4-5 hours per charge with wireless internet surfing, mail, and Word. Thought it might run with more heat ...I think it does... but I think it's more my battery heating up while charging. I haven't notice much speed difference from the 7200rpm but I haven't moved any big files to know. Over all, you can't go wrong with either 7200rpm or 5400rpm drive.

I didn't have a torx screw driver small enough to take out the four screws on the original drive so I use a pliers to twist them out. Works just as well. Pretty easy and fast upgrade but make sure to have the right tools =)
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

 
Member Since: Jan 30, 2010
Posts: 107
Tbone is on a distinguished road

Tbone is offline
I recently read somewhere that the MBP comes with instructions for replacing the hdd and RAM; it also said this will not effect the warranty. Can anyone confirm this?
QUOTE Thanks
quin

 
quin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 19, 2009
Posts: 432
quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

quin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
Installed the Hitachi Travelstar 500GB 7200 rpm. Hardly any vibration problem. There is a very slight tickle to the palm when it spins and get up to speed but nothing major. Very quiet, can only hear it in a totally silent room. Not much battery drain either, although battery indicator aren't totally accurate for me to tell. Getting about the same 4-5 hours per charge with wireless internet surfing, mail, and Word. Thought it might run with more heat ...I think it does... but I think it's more my battery heating up while charging. I haven't notice much speed difference from the 7200rpm but I haven't moved any big files to know. Over all, you can't go wrong with either 7200rpm or 5400rpm drive.

I didn't have a torx screw driver small enough to take out the four screws on the original drive so I use a pliers to twist them out. Works just as well. Pretty easy and fast upgrade but make sure to have the right tools =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
I recently read somewhere that the MBP comes with instructions for replacing the hdd and RAM; it also said this will not effect the warranty. Can anyone confirm this?
Yeah, if I remember right the little booklet that came with the unit shows you how to get access to the ram and hdd drive
QUOTE Thanks
6string

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Down Under :D
Posts: 5,484
6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

6string is offline
True, Ram and HD upgrades don't effect the warranty!
Quin, glad to hear it all went smoothly, and as for speed, you will only notice when you do get into some intensive work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Major Problems with my MacBook | Recurrent Kernel Panics on 2007 Macbook Pro »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Writing to Time Machine Backups drive from Linux sworddude182 Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 4 12-12-2009 09:12 PM
Time Machine Drive size vs Mac HDD MilenkoD OS X - Apps and Games 7 01-05-2009 09:20 PM
If I Purchase Macbook Air w/ HDD Drive...Can I Upgrade Later?? bswain06 Apple Notebooks 8 03-23-2008 06:42 PM
Replacing Hard Drive on Macbook experience alucard Apple Notebooks 24 10-14-2007 04:21 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?