New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mac to PC Virus

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

elwoodphoto

elwoodphoto is on a distinguished road

Is there a way to scan a file on my mac to see if it has a virus. I am sending some large files to a friend using a PC and would not enjoy losing a friendship over this if the files were able to destroy a PC. I wanna maintain my friendship regardless of what machine they use?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

1. There are no Mac OS X viri at this stage so you do not have a virus. If you use Windows on your Mac through Boot Camp or similar, by all means use Microsoft Security Essentials software which is downloadable.
QUOTE Thanks
elwoodphoto

I am thinking that you didn't really read my thread but thanks for the response. I KNOW I don't have a virus. I have a mac.

I am sending a file that I downloaded off of the internet to a friend that has a pc. I don't have the PC... He does. I wanna not give a virus to my PC friend. My PC friend computer illiterate and probably does not know how scan a file before opening it.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwoodphoto View Post
I am thinking that you didn't really read my thread but thanks for the response. I KNOW I don't have a virus. I have a mac.

I am sending a file that I downloaded off of the internet to a friend that has a pc. I don't have the PC... He does. I wanna not give a virus to my PC friend. My PC friend computer illiterate and probably does not know how scan a file before opening it.
If I'm reading this correctly, your friend has the PC, and you have the Mac: essentially you don't want to send him a possibly infected file. Use an AV (for Mac OS X) for this. AV's for Mac's check for Windows viruses (among other things, they also tell you who tried to hack your firewall). You should be safe here. Check this link out:

The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
generic chick

generic chick is on a distinguished road

You could also tell your friend you don't know how safe the file is and to be sure his virus protection is up to date before he opens the email.
QUOTE Thanks
elwoodphoto

Chris H... Very informal info. Thanks!!

Generic Chick... I should have informed you that I am actually sending the file through my ftp client. Zip file over url. So no email is involved. Sorry for the lack of details. I do appreciate the response for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You can download ClamAVx and check for any Windows Virus's on the files you are sending him. Interesting note though. I always use my Macs to download files even for my Windows systems. I don't check them as AntiVir on the Windows machine will find them the second they hit the hard drive. I have had this happen many times and AntiVir on Windows never missed one and stopped them before anything bad happened.

I can understand your concern and not wanting to infect your friends computer. Try ClamxAV. It's free and should find any Windows virus's that might be in files on your Mac.

ClamXav
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Whats a fair price? | Coconut Battery »