New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I need help, what is wrong with this Powerbook G4!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jwwrox

jwwrox will become famous soon enough

Ok, so I just bought a Powerbook, hoping to repair it and resell it, and before it arrives I would like to identify the problem with it. It is a Powerbook G4 Titanium A1025. I cannot decipher whether it is a broken screen bezel or a broken hinge (or, god forbid, both). So, can anyone help???

Powerbook G4 Titanium
-15 Inch display
-60GB HDD
-1GB Memory
-1Ghz PowerPC G4

These are all of the pictures I have available, the most helpful one is the first:

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Pictures aren't working.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jwwrox

sorry about that, I got them to work.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Holy Apple..someone drop this thing?

It looks like a hinge (the right hinge has something yellow- I'm assuming wires) though that could be anything (if I'm not mistaken, that could also be the power port LOL).

Other than that, there's not much that I can tell about what's wrong with it, other than the cosmetic damage (such as that mouse pad).

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
jwwrox

Yeah, I think the "yellow thing" is the cord plugged into the power port. I got it for a good price but I am told that it was fallen on. Does anyone know how to go about replacing the hinge? I do know that the computer works when it is plugged into an external monitor. The screen on the computer will power on, but it will not display the desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The first picture is pretty good (rear view)...but I think a couple more photos of that hinge from different angles would help to determine the amount of damage...especially a top view.

A rear view & top view photo (lid closed) as close as possible would help.

The trackpad button doesn't look very "happy" either.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

must ... be ... diplomatic ...

The machine you're showing there is, as you probably know, pretty old. In mint condition it's worth maybe $350US. In its present condition I personally wouldn't have paid $10 for it.

Those hinges are very badly damaged and must be entirely replaced, which is quite a job. Here's a company that sells the part and tools you need. I think you'll see just from this where I'm going here ...

The trackpad is part of the top case, so you're probably going to need to source and replace that as well.

As you say this has been "fallen on" I'd suspect the logic board or the screen is in bad shape too.

I wish you a lot of luck with this project ...
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Hmmmm... I think you'd make more selling it for parts, or at least whats left of the parts!
QUOTE Thanks
jwwrox

Yeah, I do know that it is very old, but I need a project and because it powers on and there is nothing wrong with the keyboard or trackpad (besides the click button being dinged up) I would say that all of the internal components are fine (logic board, memory, hard drive). But just to be sure, nobody thinks the lcd/lcd bezel will need to be replaced, just the hinge, I have not actually used this model before and I don't have anymore pictures available at this time so I have a hard time figuring out exactly what is broken as far as the backside of the laptop shows.
QUOTE Thanks
jwwrox

By the way, I paid $177 for it. Is that a good deal, it seemed that some were going for a lot more (on eBay).

My goal here is to make $100 dollars profit (this includes the total original cost plus what it costs to repair, does anyone think I can do this, or am I being too optimistic.
QUOTE Thanks
jwwrox

*Please see added photos. I pulled up the laptop using Remote Desktop on my larger iMac. You can see it boots up perfectly, the image just does not show up on the laptop screen, even though the screen does light up. I'm guessing a faulty connection.

(added 2/08/10) I also have the original box which I will ship it in and original manuals, sheets and stickers that came with it.

The PowerBook and screen (outside of the screen detachment) is in perfect working condition. There is nothing wrong with the internal components of this laptop. One day it was working fine, the next day my 6 year old daughter fell toward it and snapped the cover. The sale includes the PowerBook, Power cord, Install discs, Battery (still holds hours of charge), RAM, 60MB Hard drive and all internal parts. There is nothing missing or excluded. I am only selling because the hinges snapped from the cover during the accident. The screen has no missing or damaged pixels, however there is an aesthetic blemish on the screen a little over an inch and the thumb button on the touch pad is dinged (still works great though - see pictures).
Because of the loose condition of the hinges and screen, I must claim no responsibility for it's operation after shipment.
I will have the sticker off the outside cover before it ships.
If you have any questions, please email. I will do whatever I can to package it safely and securely.
QUOTE Thanks
jwwrox

Anyone have an idea???
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwrox View Post
Anyone have an idea???
what is the question?
QUOTE Thanks
jwwrox

Specifically what on this computer needs to be repaired/replaced.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Really?
-Top case with the trackpad assembly
-hinges which is part of the outer top case

That alone is worth more than you would get for it!
Have a search!

Here's on hit with on link.
Case Parts - Apple PowerBook G4 1GHz 15" (Titanium) (M8859LL/A, A1025), Apple Mac Products, iPod Accessories

As advised earlier..... sell it for parts!
You will get back more selling the power adapter, keyboard, battery, discs, and anything else that is salvageable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I don't believe my fans are working correctly. :O | CD Rom eating disks »