New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Cracks in NEW Unibody white Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PharaohRamses

PharaohRamses is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: New Macbook, iMac coreduo, g4 iBook, 3 PCs, iphone 3g & iPhone 3gs

I got my new Unibody white macbook shortly after they were released, 2nd week of Nov. 2009. I have loved the unit and treated it very delicately, but last week i noticed 2 small hairline cracks in the plastic, right where the hinge is. I searched the net and found no one else who had this problem. I took it to the Apple store and they said "usually" they wouldn't cover this, that it would be called cosmetic damage, but after the genius looked it over, he realized that other than the cracks my unit was in pristine condition; so they said they would cover it under warranty and replace the screen and top casing.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experience a similar problem?

I know the older macbooks had a cracking problem but this is a newer unit, the current generation. And since they are so new, i figured maybe i am the first to encounter this. Every epidemic starts with one person...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohRamses View Post
I have loved the unit and treated it very delicately, but last week i noticed 2 small hairline cracks in the plastic, right where the hinge is.

Every epidemic starts with one person...
Well let's hope it isn't the start of an epidemic!

Without a photo I don't know where exactly the cracks are, or how large they are...but the hinge area is always a "weak spot" on laptop computers.

I know that you're going to say that you didn't do it...but depending where the cracks are...the cracks could possibly be due to opening the display lid too far (beyond the point where the housing of the lid touches the bottom housing).

The good news is your laptop is still under warranty...and Apple has agreed to repair it.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

It is a known problem on the older white macbooks. I'm surprised you did not find anything during your search because there is tons of topics about it online.

I believe Apple even agreed to replacing the hairline cracks even after the machines were out of warranty. Glad you got it fixed though. It's a shame to have the cracks in the machine even if they are small.

Welcome to the forums and please stick around!

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
MacKozer

MacKozer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D (late 2007), MacBook Pro 13" (June 2009), MacBook white (late 2007), iPhone 3G, iPod Cl

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the same problem. I have just described on my Polish blog 3 examples of such cracks on the new MacBook unibody. All of them were reported by Polish users (on a Polish Apple fan forum) and all of them are pretty the same, hairline cracks on the body that run straight from the corner of the hinge.

The text is in Polish, but you can see the photos.

P?kni?cia w nowych MacBookach unibody – za wcze?nie na alarm | MacKozer

Will keep an eye on this.

greetings from Poland
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
It is a known problem on the older white macbooks.
I believe Apple even agreed to replacing the hairline cracks even after the machines were out of warranty
I wonder if you've heard that they will even do this with a late 07 MB (way out of warranty)....
I only noticed it when it come up in a thread fairly recently!

I'm tempted to call Apple, but don't wanna get my hopes up
QUOTE Thanks
pattyjp47

pattyjp47 is on a distinguished road

After having my Macbook for 2 almost 3 months, I have gotten the hairline crack on the hinge. I am going to be taking it in to the apple store today hopefully for a repair.
I hope this isn't going to be a frequent issue because, the screen bezel on the left side is no longer in contact with the palm rest when closed.

I hope they admit to this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Go in with an optimistic non confrontational attitude and you should walk out with a fast repair or a new machine.... so back up your HD before you take it in
QUOTE Thanks
pattyjp47

Apple has order a replacement part for the cracked hinge. They also are going to replace the hard drive which clicks when you move the unit.
It went well, just have to wait until thursday until my computer is repaired.
QUOTE Thanks
KC@MN

KC@MN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: late-2009 unibody white macbook

I have the same problem too.. after I read this post, I discovered my unibody white macbook has 2 small hair cracks too.. Should I take it to the Apple store and see if they could cover it under warranty? Coz I previously used an aftermarket hard cover case to protect my macbook, and I think that's why it causing it.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyjp47 View Post
Apple has order a replacement part for the cracked hinge. They also are going to replace the hard drive which clicks when you move the unit.
It went well, just have to wait until thursday until my computer is repaired.
Good to hear
QUOTE Thanks
pattyjp47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC@MN View Post
I have the same problem too.. after I read this post, I discovered my unibody white macbook has 2 small hair cracks too.. Should I take it to the Apple store and see if they could cover it under warranty? Coz I previously used an aftermarket hard cover case to protect my macbook, and I think that's why it causing it.
I would take it back if I were you. This is probably a design fault. Hopefully this piece of the computer will be redesigned. It's not only you who has had this problem, it might be a persistent problem. I only hope I don't have to go to the apple store every couple of months for a new top case.
QUOTE Thanks
KC@MN

KC@MN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: late-2009 unibody white macbook

Thank You. I will take the macbook to the Apple store during Spring break.. Hopefully it won't take too long for them to fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
crsisson

crsisson is on a distinguished road

I too have had problems with my new unibody white macbook and the cracks on the hinges. I took it to the Apple store last week and was told that it would not be covered and would cost nearly $450 to repair! I was not only angry and annoyed. I have not damaged my macbook, never dropped it and have always been very careful.

It looks to me that just the simple act of opening the lid is causing the cracks to form.

QUOTE Thanks
redwolf4k

redwolf4k is on a distinguished road

This is bad news. We just bought two of the new unibody whites, thinking that the cracking issue was surely solved. Is it cracking due to the pull of the magnets used to close the lid?

I find it a tad bit anoying that the plastic on a $400 Windows laptop is more durable then on a $1000 apple laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post
This is bad news. We just bought two of the new unibody whites, thinking that the cracking issue was surely solved. Is it cracking due to the pull of the magnets used to close the lid?

I find it a tad bit anoying that the plastic on a $400 Windows laptop is more durable then on a $1000 apple laptop.
Windows laptops aren't more durable, it was a materials defect, which has apparently been rectified, but if it happens to your Mac(s), Apple will look after you.
Don't worry about it and enjoy your new Macs
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Defective apple mac book pro 13" 2011 | Serious trouble »