New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Cracks in NEW Unibody white Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri65
I don't see why the rest of the world should subsidise the lower prices of Apple products in N. America. Thank you Apple Toronto. No thank you what so ever to Apple in general!!!!
As far as misunderstanding your earlier post...how can anyone read the quote above from your earlier message...and not get the idea that you're blaming North America for the higher prices for Apple products in the rest of the world!!! In your scenario North America is receiving the benefits of the higher prices around the world (subsidizing)...so of course you're blaming North America!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri65 View Post
Sorry forgot one little matter. If the costs in the EU are higher for Apple products because of the transport costs etc etc , please explain how it is possible that a number Italian products cost less in the US than they do in Italy!!!
I actually never attributed higher costs to "transportation" costs...most Apple products are manufactured in China....so many countries that import Apple products have similar transportation costs (Europe, North America, etc.).

As far as the Italian products scenario...one answer is volume! If a company in the United States is willing to purchase 10 million units of an Italian companies product...that product can be sold for a lot less than the same product sold in Italy if a local distributer only purchases 1000 units.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bri65

bri65 is an unknown at this point

by all means if you want to be a victim by thinking that I was American bashing go ahead and think it. I am glad to be of service to you. If i wanted to do so i would have had no problems in coming straight out with it.

I remember you saying something about doing homework!! Run along!!!

Anyway, I am sure you are right about everything! Why bother!
Take care little Steve.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
As far as misunderstanding your earlier post...how can anyone read the quote above from your earlier message...and not get the idea that you're blaming North America for the higher prices for Apple products in the rest of the world!!! In your scenario North America is receiving the benefits of the higher prices around the world (subsidizing)...so of course you're blaming North America!

I actually never attributed higher costs to "transportation" costs...most Apple products are manufactured in China....so many countries that import Apple products have similar transportation costs (Europe, North America, etc.).

As far as the Italian products scenario...one answer is volume! If a company in the United States is willing to purchase 10 million units of an Italian companies product...that product can be sold for a lot less than the same product sold in Italy if a local distributer only purchases 1000 units.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

For all the trouble that these cracking macbooks are bringing up, it bring the question of why not just for over a little bit more, or even less than it's cost, and buy an aluminum macbook/pro? I was never a fan of the white macbooks ability to scratch just by blowing on it, if I had a crack develop by itself, or by little stress caused by a design flaw that does not allow for such normal stress to be applied, I would leave my macbook at the apple store, call Discover, and tell them I was just sold a faulty product!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

For what it's worth, let's leave economics out of the technicalities here.

For all we can understand, one person had bad luck in Europe with the Apple Stores there. Big deal. For all we know, someone rudely asked them about fixing a problem- and we should all know, rudeness doesn't get by in business- anywhere.

But that's just an assumption. As far as I can see based on the posts here, someone is frustrated, aggravated and arrogant. Let's leave it at that.

But, the MacBook is fixed- no?

Have a nice day.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
For what it's worth, let's leave economics out of the technicalities here.

For all we can understand, one person had bad luck in Europe with the Apple Stores there. Big deal. For all we know, someone rudely asked them about fixing a problem- and we should all know, rudeness doesn't get by in business- anywhere.

But that's just an assumption. As far as I can see based on the posts here, someone is frustrated, aggravated and arrogant. Let's leave it at that.

But, the MacBook is fixed- no?
I do agree with your conclusions about this thread (looking back on the discussion from the "Monday Morning quarterback" point of view). But you have to realize that in "bri65's" 2nd post in this thread...is when the "economics" portion of the discussion began...so that's why it was an important discussion point.

Actually "bri65"...should have started their own thread...since they started the current discussion back on post #23 of a "semi-dead" thread.

Again I agree...the most important thing is that "bri65's" laptop got repaired!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
clinch

clinch is on a distinguished road

There is definitely with the new Macbook. It happened to my son's machine. When I contacted Apple support it was clear that they were aware of the issue. They sent me to an Apple authorised engineer who told me they were dealing with lots of them. They replaced top casing unit and less than two months later it is cracking again.
I think this is the worst product I have ever bought.
QUOTE Thanks
pattyjp47

pattyjp47 is on a distinguished road

My MacBook is still cracking. The last time I took it in, it was cracked at both sides of the hinge. Also, the rubber on the bottom of the MacBook started to bulge from the heat. This was the fourth time taking my MacBook in for a repair, but because I have came in for these four repairs in under 11 months they replaced my whole machine. Two months after the replacement the hinges have cracked again.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyjp47 View Post
My MacBook is still cracking. The last time I took it in, it was cracked at both sides of the hinge. Also, the rubber on the bottom of the MacBook started to bulge from the heat. This was the fourth time taking my MacBook in for a repair, but because I have came in for these four repairs in under 11 months they replaced my whole machine. Two months after the replacement the hinges have cracked again.
For one, great that they gave you a new machine!
Next up, I would contact Apple customer relations regarding the cracks in the new machine (with a pleasant manner of coarse), explaining the history, and what is happening with the new machine.
If handled well, I think there is a possibility that they may inspect the machine, and perhaps agree to a free upgrade to a 13" macbook pro, or an upgrade at a minimal cost.
Not saying they will, but there is always a chance.
QUOTE Thanks
pattyjp47

pattyjp47 is on a distinguished road

I don't know the number for the customers relations here in the UK, but i'll just speak to a genius sometime. He did say I must be an angry customer by now and another genius said they'll have to come up with a solution if it happens again. Its such a pity if these MacBooks are cracking. If there is a chance, I don't want to upgrade to a pro, I prefer the white finish of the MacBook. I'll make an appointment in two weeks, I'm using my computer non-stop for coursework.

Did the white iBooks ever crack? I miss the PowerPC machines, I found them better. Our iMac G3 is still working like a tank and not one crack. I would love that quality in my MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
safarisurfer

safarisurfer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13 inch 2012 Air

I didnt know he white unibodys had such an issue. kinda glad i didnt get one then.

is the palm rest cracking an issue with the 13 white unibodys like past macbooks or was this fixed. if you look at the lid if there is 2 long bumps above the screen on the lid on the right and left hand side it likely isnt. this puts pressure on the palm rest and eventually will make it crack.
QUOTE Thanks
shaunpbostock

shaunpbostock is on a distinguished road

just came across the problem of the two halves of my unibody not sitting flush and on closer inspection noticed that there were two hairline cracks running from either corner on the hinge, my mac is only 5 months old now any help in how to take this issue further would be much appreciated, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

You are still under warranty.... Go to Apple and have them rectify the problem.... with a pleasant manner of coarse
QUOTE Thanks
Snowflakes

Snowflakes is on a distinguished road

My macbook white unibody cracked 4 months after i bought it (left side of track pad, side of charger port, and a bit on the front logo) Crack on the charger port cause it to sometimes 'not charge' until i fidget it. Went to genius bar 3 times but all rejected my claim and say it's my fault. I swear i didn't drop it or anything. I even use it more carefully than average users. So disappointed.

So yeah...everyone...the new unibody DOES crack. That's why they don't sell White Macs now. Hope they have responsibility for it tho
QUOTE Thanks
carlyle429

carlyle429 is on a distinguished road

I got my white, unibody macbook in January 2010. I have a crack on both sides by the hinge. I also just noticed a small crack stemming from the side and up towards the keyboard, it begins near where the power cord attaches. I've taken great care with this computer so I hope these won't become major issues.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Defective apple mac book pro 13" 2011 | Serious trouble »