New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Cracks in NEW Unibody white Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pattyjp47

pattyjp47 is on a distinguished road

I'm now on my second crack. But this time not on the hinge. A small hairline crack that seems to be getting bigger, visible to the left of the sleep light.
I'm going to wait for it to get bigger before I take it in.
Hopefully they will replace this part too.
Is there too much strain on the plastic in the new design of the MacBooks, with all the curves etc...? Just like the white iPhone 3g having cracks in the plastic where the curves were.
Is this MacBook going to be like the old one? Cracks no matter what?
Since I got it back after the first repair, I bought an extra case to put this in too, a stretchy case that hugs the computer, foam padding in the soft brief case. This is starting to become a mac on a life support.
I can't even move it without the hard drive making a huge clicking noise.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
I'm now on my second crack. But this time not on the hinge. A small hairline crack that seems to be getting bigger, visible to the left of the sleep light.
I'm going to wait for it to get bigger before I take it in.
Why are you saying you will wait for it to get bigger before you take it in.... that's ridiculous! You already know that Apple will look after you, so get it taken care of!

Quote:
Is there too much strain on the plastic in the new design of the MacBooks, with all the curves etc...? Just like the white iPhone 3g having cracks in the plastic where the curves were.
Is this MacBook going to be like the old one? Cracks no matter what?
Some of the suppliers had defective materials.... these things happen! Just stay on top of it with Apple until everything is fine!

Quote:
This is starting to become a mac on a life support.
I can't even move it without the hard drive making a huge clicking noise.
This is another thing to get onto Apple about and have it taken care of!

If this keeps happening, I have no doubt that eventually you will get a new replacement Mac.

If you let it go, and get all negative, well........ just stay positive, and stay on top of things, and I'm sure everything will turn out just fine
QUOTE Thanks
pattyjp47

pattyjp47 is on a distinguished road

I'll make an appointment for next week, but do you really think they would replace the keyboard part?
Its quite a big part.
I sure do hope they replace it.
Thanks for making me feel reassured with my mac.
(:
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Absolutely.... they'll either replace the part the whole unit! It's under warranty!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Bringing up an old thread but I have started my own little war with Apple regarding hairline cracks in my lower casing of my late 07 Macbook.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1493/photo051sn.jpg
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8009/photo052v.jpg
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1728/photo053t.jpg
So far after much discussion with Apple customer care, and them refusing to accept liability due to their fine print, they have finally agreed to replace the lower casing, but not take care of the cost of labour to replace it.
I am now on my second part of the battle, in which I am fighting to have them pay for the labour.
Initially when speaking with Apple, they went as far as to state that even if I were under warranty, that they would not cover it as it was a defect that the engineers were not aware of, and therefore, was not covered. They only recognise that there is defective upper casing, and claim that it is only due to it being called "hardware" as the keyboard and trackpad are part of it. LOL
I explained that even if they weren't aware of defective lower casing material through the many cases on the internet, and the many cases that have come in to Apple, that they are now aware of it, as I have just brought it to their attention.
It was only after I took it into the techs, and had them look at it, and got back to Apple with details of the tech who looked at it and Apple spoke to him, as well as the photos that I had sent them, they they even bent half way to cover the cost of the part.
I have provided them with the following links to show them that even though they deny knowledge of any material defects in the lower casing, that it is common knowledge, and that they are indeed aware of it.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-appearing/471
Apple Wants Nothing to Do with Your Cracking White MacBook - Widely reported as faulty, the old notebook continues to give headaches to users - Softpedia
MacBook Cracks | Plastic MacBook Cases Cracked
AppleInsider | Apple addressing cracks on white MacBook casings
Apple Privately Admits White MacBook's Notorious Crack Problem - Apple - Gizmodo

I am, I must say, highly disappointed that it has had to be a battle, as I am one of the first to brag about Apple's level of customer service.
I will hopefully be able to give some good news on Monday or Tuesday at the home stretch of the battle

If anyone has anything to add which may add some weight to battle to have the labour taken care of without me having to spend more than the AU$150 in time and effort that the labour is going to cost me, it would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Roger Murray

Roger Murray is on a distinguished road

I too have the same cracking problems, purchasing two of the new white Mac Books late November 2009. Both are now showing hairline cracks on the lids running from the hinges. A friend with the same new model of Mac Book has also found similar hairline cracks. The Mac dealers, MCC of Chester on contacting Apple said that they knew nothing about this problem which seems questionable.

The dealers are now suggesting that I take the two Mac Books in so they can send them off to Apple for their technicians to look at them. I am reluctant to do this as both machines are in constant use and I don't want to take the risk of them being away for weeks. I have supplied them with clear photographic evidence of the cracks and cannot see why has to take an Apple technician to determine this.

As three new model (late Nov 2009) white plastic Mac Books are showing identical cracks in exactly the same hinge area of the lid, it would suggest that there is an inherent design fault. It would be interesting to know how many new Mac Books out there are suffering the same problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohRamses View Post
I got my new Unibody white macbook shortly after they were released, 2nd week of Nov. 2009. I have loved the unit and treated it very delicately, but last week i noticed 2 small hairline cracks in the plastic, right where the hinge is. I searched the net and found no one else who had this problem. I took it to the Apple store and they said "usually" they wouldn't cover this, that it would be called cosmetic damage, but after the genius looked it over, he realized that other than the cracks my unit was in pristine condition; so they said they would cover it under warranty and replace the screen and top casing.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experience a similar problem?

I know the older macbooks had a cracking problem but this is a newer unit, the current generation. And since they are so new, i figured maybe i am the first to encounter this. Every epidemic starts with one person...
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Update... no luck on getting Apple to cover the labour cost
I spent as much time as I was willing to, arguing the matter with them, and for the $150 it cost me in labour, I think I will consider it done and dusted.
At least I got them to cover the cost of the part.
The good bit is that I have a late 2007 MB which is now in as new condition, so I may sell it and put the proceeds towards the 15" MBP that I want to get
QUOTE Thanks
bri65

bri65 is an unknown at this point

Hi there. I am writing to you from Italy where in July 2008 I baught a white 13" macbook. After a year the bottom case showed craks all over. a couple of months later a crack developed on the top case near the FN key. More recently the charger has stopped working. I have had more hardware problems with this laptop than I have had with 15 years worth of other computers put together.

I attach the photo of the top case crack. My question is if in the US Apple are changing the top cases, under an extended guarantee, which have the problem you see below? Also, I have never had a charger stop working on me. Are they changing the charger?
I ask these questions as in Europe they seem to be reluctant in doing so. they call the crack "accidental damage", which means that I broke it, and "cosmetic" which means that it is not important and therefore worthy of their attention.
I would appreciate some feed back. I will be going to Canada for a couple of weeks at the end of the month and was considering bringing the Macbook with me to see if the Apple centres take a differnt view on the matter.
thanks and ciao!![IMG][/IMG]
QUOTE Thanks
theoak

theoak is on a distinguished road

6string's third link in post # 20 above has a link to a class action law suit. Why not pursue that? Maybe that will get Apple's attention.

Macbook Cracks: Lawyer Seek Litigation - Consumer Protection (Case Cracking)

2007 13" white Macbook, 2 Ghz Core2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard w/ 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD
32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
Panasonic CF-30, 4 GB RAM, Win7/Ubuntu12.04LTS, 180GB Intel SSD
QUOTE Thanks
bri65

UPDATE - I have just got back to Italy after my vacation in Canada. While in Toronto I took my Macbook to the Apple Store and without batting an eyelid, they changed the top case at no cost. They also gave me, FREE, an old never used charger that they had, as the new stile ones with new attachment, did not work on my laptop. Apple Italy and Apple Europe (Ireland) refused to do anything about the crack or the charger!!

I find it disgusting that in Italy and probably in the rest of Europe, we pay so much more for Apple products but receive less consideration when it comes to the after sales service. Being treated as 3rd class citizen is something that i do not accept!!!

I will not let this matter drop here! I don't see why the rest of the world should subsidise the lower prices of Apple products in N. America. Thank you Apple Toronto. No thank you what so ever to Apple in general!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri65 View Post
Hi there. I am writing to you from Italy where in July 2008 I baught a white 13" macbook. After a year the bottom case showed craks all over. a couple of months later a crack developed on the top case near the FN key. More recently the charger has stopped working. I have had more hardware problems with this laptop than I have had with 15 years worth of other computers put together.

I attach the photo of the top case crack. My question is if in the US Apple are changing the top cases, under an extended guarantee, which have the problem you see below? Also, I have never had a charger stop working on me. Are they changing the charger?
I ask these questions as in Europe they seem to be reluctant in doing so. they call the crack "accidental damage", which means that I broke it, and "cosmetic" which means that it is not important and therefore worthy of their attention.
I would appreciate some feed back. I will be going to Canada for a couple of weeks at the end of the month and was considering bringing the Macbook with me to see if the Apple centres take a differnt view on the matter.
thanks and ciao!![IMG][/IMG]
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Hmmm…I have a White Unibody MacBook (late 2009) and the only cosmetic damage are little tiny scratches.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
bri65

the new Unibody Macbooks have been made with a different plastic and should not have the same problems of cracking as the old one that I have. The non- Unibody Macbooks crack all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
Hmmm…I have a White Unibody MacBook (late 2009) and the only cosmetic damage are little tiny scratches.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri65 View Post
UPDATE - I have just got back to Italy after my vacation in Canada. While in Toronto I took my Macbook to the Apple Store and without batting an eyelid, they changed the top case at no cost. They also gave me, FREE, an old never used charger that they had, as the new stile ones with new attachment, did not work on my laptop. Apple Italy and Apple Europe (Ireland) refused to do anything about the crack or the charger!!

I find it disgusting that in Italy and probably in the rest of Europe, we pay so much more for Apple products but receive less consideration when it comes to the after sales service. Being treated as 3rd class citizen is something that i do not accept!!!

I will not let this matter drop here! I don't see why the rest of the world should subsidise the lower prices of Apple products in N. America. Thank you Apple Toronto. No thank you what so ever to Apple in general!!!!
I think that you're making some REALLY big leaps of logic...stating that the rest of the world is subsidizing low prices for Apple products in North America. You have absolutely no facts or data supporting this!!!

The facts are...you simply had a negative experience in Italy & Ireland...and a good experience in Canada. I can guarantee you if I go to multiple Apple Stores in the United States...there WILL be different levels of service I receive...just like if you go to two different McDonald's restaurants the quality of the service can be different.

Regarding the higher prices around the world. I do agree that folks around the world do pay more for Apple products...but don't blame everything on Apple or North America. You need to realize that other countries throughout the world have different economies, different import & export taxes, and various other fees. For example...other countries have higher tax rates, higher import fees, VAT in Great Britain & parts of Europe...etc., etc., etc.

Before you start complaining...how about doing your homework, stick to the facts, and consider that there are many cost related matters in different countries that Apple has no control over!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bri65

WOW Nick!!!! Or is it Steve? Firstly, you have totally misunderstood the part of the message regarding the lower prices in the USA. I was not blaming anything at all on N. America. I suggest you read more carefully and try to be a little less paranoid!!!??? You are right though, I am apportioning a great deal of blame to Apple for the way in which they treat their clients in Europe and possibly elsewhere!! SIMPLY HAD A NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE???? Had I simply gone to one store and left it at that I would also put it down to “ a negative experience”. But I didn’t! I went to both the Apple service centres where I live and got the same answer. I then called the central offices of Apple Italy, who confirmed that it is not their policy to do anything about the crack on my laptop. I then wrote to and called the main office of Apple Europe (in Ireland) who also confirmed that nowhere in Europe would the crack on my laptop be repaired under extended guarantee. A NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE?????? Why don’t you come and live here for a little while and do your homework on how customer services of foreign multinationals in Italy work? Nothing like how they work in their home country! You’ll have fun!!

Speaking of doing “Homework”. Do you have any idea how much they have been charging for the old Macbook in Italy? Well let me tell you. In 2008 I paid EURO 1,300. At the time 1 Euro was worth +/- USD 1.55!! Need help with the maths? Ok, that comes to just over USD 2,000!!!! Exporting is my job so excuse me if don’t take any lessons from you about the costs of exporting goods. USD 2,000 does not reflect the cost of exporting the goods from the country of production (not USA) but reflects the greed of the exporting company. Oh, please forgive me. Just in case it wasn’t clear, this is my opinion!

1Euro/1.55$ means that goods purchased in USD are cheaper than they are when, for example, the exchange rate is where it is now at 1/1.27.What I do know and this is not just my opinion is that multinationals come to Italy to do the dirty work that they cannot get away with in their own country. Why should Apple be any different? You see in Italy, as I think in most countries in the EU, Class Action law suits do not exist, making it much harder for consumers to take action against large companies. The companies know this and take advantage of it!!!

Finally. In the EU (European Union!!), by law the guarantee has to be of TWO years. Do you think that Apple has acted accordingly extending their guarantee to TWO years???? Of course not!!! Corporate arrogance!! Sony and other multinationals increased their guarantee to two years and in some cases more. Apple will SELL you the extended guarantee!!!!!! As if their laptops aren’t expensive enough as it is!!

I wish any class actions against Apple in the US all the success they deserve!!!

Nick. Despite what you may think I have been a loyal user of Macs for over 15 years. This is why I feel so bitter about the way I have been treated by Apple in Europe!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I think that you're making some REALLY big leaps of logic...stating that the rest of the world is subsidizing low prices for Apple products in North America. You have absolutely no facts or data supporting this!!!

The facts are...you simply had a negative experience in Italy & Ireland...and a good experience in Canada. I can guarantee you if I go to multiple Apple Stores in the United States...there WILL be different levels of service I receive...just like if you go to two different McDonald's restaurants the quality of the service can be different.

Regarding the higher prices around the world. I do agree that folks around the world do pay more for Apple products...but don't blame everything on Apple or North America. You need to realize that other countries throughout the world have different economies, different import & export taxes, and various other fees. For example...other countries have higher tax rates, higher import fees, VAT in Great Britain & parts of Europe...etc., etc., etc.

Before you start complaining...how about doing your homework, stick to the facts, and consider that there are many cost related matters in different countries that Apple has no control over!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
bri65

Sorry forgot one little matter. If the costs in the EU are higher for Apple products because of the transport costs etc etc , please explain how it is possible that a number Italian products cost less in the US than they do in Italy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Defective apple mac book pro 13" 2011 | Serious trouble »