New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Black aluminum MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

opus_az

opus_az has a spectacular aura about

Hello...

I have VIP at the office who really REALLY wants a black aluminum MacBook. Is there any aftermarket or custom refurb place that can do that for us? (My google-foo is weak on this one.)

PS - a skin or a case is probably not going to work for him.

TIA

iMac, MB, MB Air, nano
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

Ummm rag, gloves, and some black anodising Dye ...
LINKY to the DIY way of doing it ...

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I believe something like this is what you're looking for:

Computer Choppers

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

ColorWare
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Hope it's a VVIP... as the $$$$$$$ you will pay someone to do this will be insane
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I for one like the term " google-foo "and plan to use it as often as I can !
And that is really all I have to add here.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Oh right, forgot about ColorWare. That's a great source and isn't prohibitively expensive.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Oh right, forgot about ColorWare. That's a great source and isn't prohibitively expensive.
I guess it depends on what you consider "prohibitively expensive"; but I agree, $499 is a fair price for the remarkable color finishes they offer.

It kind of makes me laugh a bit, because I can remember when you could have your auto painted for less than $499! Remember those advertisements by Earl Shibe?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Mundungus

Mundungus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 Mid 2010

any car, any color $49.99.

I always believed that being a Cubs fan built strong character. It taught a person that if you try hard enough and long enough, you'll still lose. And that's the story of life. -Mike Royko
QUOTE Thanks
thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

You might consider getting the person a black Speck case for the MBP... In addition to making the slippery little devils easier to hold it also gives them a black appearance for a much more discrete look. No it wont hide the aluminum around the keyboard when its open but it does lower the light level of the stupid glowing apple logo (or if you slide a bit of heavy construction paper on it before you snap the case on it completely eliminates the narcissistic beacon).
QUOTE Thanks
Themuskr

Themuskr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas998 View Post
You might consider getting the person a black Speck case for the MBP... In addition to making the slippery little devils easier to hold it also gives them a black appearance for a much more discrete look. No it wont hide the aluminum around the keyboard when its open but it does lower the light level of the stupid glowing apple logo (or if you slide a bit of heavy construction paper on it before you snap the case on it completely eliminates the narcissistic beacon).
Original post- "PS - a skin or a case is probably not going to work for him."

Macbook Pro 15" 2.53 C2D - OSX SL and Win 7 professional
QUOTE Thanks
ingallsra

ingallsra is on a distinguished road

With ColorWare, won't you end up with a shiny finish? It won't look like black aluminum. It seems like a lot of money for a paint job that you can't remove and won't look much better than a nice-fitting case. And the Speck SeeThru Black Satin does look pretty sharp.
I think the VIP is just going to have to accept the fact that no one makes a black aluminum unibody.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« frustrated because of led screen flicker | 13" Macbook Pro Battery »