New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iPad's Hard Drive able to be partitioned for Mac OS X Snow Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

agallegos57

agallegos57 is on a distinguished road

When I saw the iPad today I was extremely excited but slightly let down because I was hoping it was going to be able to run Snow Leopard or a modified version of it and it, of course, did not. I would still like an iPad and I guarantee that I will purchase one because I am a Apple fanatic, but I am stuck between purchasing a 16gb or a 64gb version. If the hard drive was able to be partitioned for Snow Leopard, I would purchase the 64gb. If not I would go for the 16gb. So my question is if the iPad's Hard Drive will be able to be partitioned for Mac OS X Snow Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Why don't you compromise and settle for the 32GB version?

As for your question, nobody will really know until it's released. However, if I had to guess, I'd say no.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The iPad has no real hard drive in the traditional sense. I would bet that Snow Leopard would not install nor run. There is no way that i can see for that to happen.
QUOTE Thanks
daica

daica is on a distinguished road

I dont think you should go for any of those 16 32 or 64gb for now at least.
First, i'm new here, and i'm really like the idea and way of how apple making their products.
For me, ipad this time is not worth of buying. There will be next and next generations of ipad in the future just like iphone and ipods. They make you keep up with their new invention. They'll put camera on the ipad, they will bump up the hard drive and obviously they will drop the price since there are many competitive products out there with its haft of the price etc... There will be numbers of issues and problem for this very new born device. If this does not bother you to buy at all, just wait until the real ipad will come out (the one packed with all feature for the money).
Hope this could help some apple victims out there somehow.
QUOTE Thanks
extralarge

extralarge is on a distinguished road

Take between! 32gb is good.
As a Tablet computer, you won't store stuff on it as much as the macbook. And 16gb, somehow is too small for a computer.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by agallegos57 View Post
So my question is if the iPad's Hard Drive will be able to be partitioned for Mac OS X Snow Leopard?
Two misconception's here:

- The iPad does not have a hard drive. It has "flash ram" just like the iPhone & iPod Touch.

- The iPad doesn't run OS X. It will run a special "OS" similar to the iPhone & iPod Touch.

The iPad is really just an iPod Touch or an iPhone on steroids!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
richsadams

richsadams will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by daica View Post
First, i'm new here, and i'm really like the idea and way of how apple making their products.
For me, ipad this time is not worth of buying. There will be next and next generations of ipad in the future just like iphone and ipods. They make you keep up with their new invention. They'll put camera on the ipad, they will bump up the hard drive and obviously they will drop the price since there are many competitive products out there with its haft of the price etc... There will be numbers of issues and problem for this very new born device. If this does not bother you to buy at all, just wait until the real ipad will come out (the one packed with all feature for the money).
Sooo...be sure to hang onto that buggy whip...they still might make a better horseless carriage.
QUOTE Thanks
agallegos57

agallegos57 is on a distinguished road

Also, I know that you can partition flash memory as in a flash drive. So if there is NAND Flash memory in the ipad, wouldn't there be the possibility of someone partitioning it?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

OS X runs on the PPC and/or Intel architecture. For it to run on the chip in the iPad someone will have to modify the code to run on the new architecture of it's chip. I'd say, not too likely.

Quote:
The only victims will be those that allow their emotional enthusiasm with all things Apple (aka fanboys) over rule their own thought processes as to whether the iPad fills a niche they want/need to be filled.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
sergius

sergius is on a distinguished road

AFAIK, the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch all run cut down versions of OS X Leopard, which Apple originally wrote to run on Intel & PowerPC processors and then customized to run on Atom processors. Whether Apple will customize a version of Snow Leopard for Atom processors is questionable. What would they gain by doing so? They haven't even made a PowerPC version of Snow Leopard.

"OS X runs on the PPC and/or Intel architecture. For it to run on the chip in the iPad someone will have to modify the code to run on the new architecture of it's chip. I'd say, not too likely."

Quote:
Originally Posted by daica
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
For me, ipad this time is not worth of buying. There will be next and next generations of ipad in the future just like iphone and ipods.
That's the worst logic of all time to use when determining to buy something. There will ALWAYS be the next "new" version coming. If you followed your own advice, you'd never buy anything.

If the device fits the needs you have right now and in the foreseeable future, then buy the product.

If you want for the "next" one, you'll always be waiting.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Putting the computer to sleep | Problem Cleaning Fans - Macbook Monitor Won't Turn On »