New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBPro + SSD = Unformatted Disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rockinthesix

rockinthesix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Unibody Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 64GB SSD

Hey Everyone

I'm new to both the forum and to Macs. I just purchased a MacBook Pro about 3 months ago (my first mac ever), and last month I purchased a 64GB Patriot Warp V2 SSD.

Ever since then I have been having issues with the Operating System.

I will be using my mac, close the lid, go to a new location, and when I open it up I get the Spinning Pinwheel.

I then proceed to hard shutdown, but when I power it back up I get a flashing envelope... So I put in the OSX disk... and go to Disk Utility

The Disk Utility is telling me that the Patriot is "Unformatted".

This has happened to me three times in the past 4 weeks... what could possibly be the issue?
QUOTE Thanks
robca

robca is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Uni

have you removed the disk the safe way? Or just unplugged the thing?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by robca View Post
have you removed the disk the safe way? Or just unplugged the thing?
the op is referring to an internal ssd drive..Sounds like there could be a problem with your sweet new toy ! Hopefully you have a cloned copy of your drive so you can still be up and running while you maybe have to return it for a new one...

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
rockinthesix

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
the op is referring to an internal ssd drive..Sounds like there could be a problem with your sweet new toy ! Hopefully you have a cloned copy of your drive so you can still be up and running while you maybe have to return it for a new one...
Yeah this is an internal drive. I do have backups of everything in Time Machine, so I'm not worried. Just wondering why this keeps happening. It's actually the second SSD in my machine... the first one died completely and I returned in for the Patriot.

Can static electricity hit a disk when it's installed inside the Unibody?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinthesix View Post
Yeah this is an internal drive. I do have backups of everything in Time Machine, so I'm not worried. Just wondering why this keeps happening. It's actually the second SSD in my machine... the first one died completely and I returned in for the Patriot.

Can static electricity hit a disk when it's installed inside the Unibody?
No, an internal drive is protected against static discharge. SSD drives in my opinion are just not as reliable as regular drives - yet. Why do you feel you need a SSD drive for your MBP? Especially since it's only 64 GB?

SSD technology is growing and getting better all the time. Personally, I would wait until prices come down and the reliability of the SSD have increased before purchasing one.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
rockinthesix

I bought an SSD cause it was a "decent" price ($200) and I wanted a new "toy". The thing is super fast, bench tested it against the stock disk and it was literally double.

64GB is all I need since I don't keep stuff on my disk. I have a NAS at home that stores everything... the disk just runs OSX, Apps. and Parallels.

The Time Machine restore only took about 30 minutes to complete and I didn't lose a thing... Just wondering what could be happening with this thing to cause these problems.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

What is the exact model of that Patriot SSD? I want to check around and see if I can find some info to help.

Edit: Some not to positive reviews here.

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-PE64GS...owViewpoints=1
QUOTE Thanks
rockinthesix

Patriot Warp V2
QUOTE Thanks
rockinthesix

I'm not experiencing any Caching or Stalling issues as expressed in those reviews. In fact this thing performs the CRAP out of anything else I've ever used. The problem is that is just loses it's format
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I will keep looking. So far I have seen no one with your issue. I would say take it to apple but since it's not an apple supplied drive, they would probably just blame the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
rockinthesix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
but since it's not an apple supplied drive, they would probably just blame the drive.
That's my thoughts too
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I upgrade my hard drive? | CD DRIVER On my macbook »