New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Some apps just wont open including mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nicolanicola

nicolanicola is on a distinguished road

Some apps, specifically iTunes, Spotify and mail don't respond when I click on them in the dock. Spotify and iTunes jump up and down suggesting they're opening but eventually they stop jumping but don't open. When I right click it says application not responding.

Mail opens fine on startup (I have it opening automatically) but when I notice a badge showing new mail then click on it to show the app, nothing happens. Right clicking again shows application not responding.

Restarting my mac sorts it out for a while but then after a few hours the problem is there again.

15 " macBook Pro 2.4 GHz 10.6.2
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

If restarting sorts it out for a while, i suggest you run Repair Disk Permissions

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilities

then in the left column click Your HD and then Repair Permissions.

I think that will sort out a lot of your problems

Ohh and welcome to the forum

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
nicolanicola

Thanks. Just doing that now. Hopefully will sort it.

Thanks for the welcome

15 " MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 10.6.4
iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

YW and let us know the result as if that doesnt fix it, and with some more info from you, hopefully we can sort your problem out ...

Post back

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
nicolanicola

Well I've repaired permission and spoitfy and mail still are crashing. I haven't restarted the computer though, but I know that would fix it anyway. Should the repair have worked without having to restart (it didn't prompt me to)?

iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Can I ask why you haven't restarted the computer to see if the simple reboot worked?
You may suspect, but you can't "know" that it won't fix it!
It's just basic troubleshooting, and pretty much the first step is to reboot, not that I am saying it will fix things, but I am not going to rule it out either.
In fact, I will throw the troubleshooting thread link at you to go through, and LOL, reboot is the first step on that list, but it also has quite a few others to try..... unless you don't want to

Basic OS X/Mac Troubleshooting
QUOTE Thanks
nicolanicola

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Can I ask why you haven't restarted the computer to see if the simple reboot worked?
You may suspect, but you can't "know" that it won't fix it!
It's just basic troubleshooting, and pretty much the first step is to reboot, not that I am saying it will fix things, but I am not going to rule it out either.
In fact, I will throw the troubleshooting thread link, which LOL, is the first step on that list, but also has quite a few others to try..... unless you don't want to

Basic OS X/Mac Troubleshooting
Have done now!

I think I didn't want it to restart because I was impatient to know if repairing permissions worked, as if I restarted it always sorted the problem anyway and would mean waiting for a random time til it started not working again!

Anyway, it is working now, so I'll keep you posted if it does it again.

Thanks for all's help.

iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
nicolanicola

It's doing it again Only iTunes though atm, it just jumps up and down then sits there unopened.

iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Did you update to OS X.6.2 using the Combo Updater? If not do that now as it does take care of a lot of these little problems:-

Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo)
QUOTE Thanks
nicolanicola

Yes I have. It automatically updated itself.

iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

You may have updated to 10.6.2, but it doesn't automatically update with the combo update.
try Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo) and see if it dies the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

As I stated three posts ago use the Combo Updater directly from the Apple web site!
QUOTE Thanks
nicolanicola

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
As I stated three posts ago use the Combo Updater directly from the Apple web site!
Sorry I misunderstood, I didn't realise some updates had to be manually looked for and installed.

iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolanicola View Post
Sorry I misunderstood, I didn't realise some updates had to be manually looked for and installed.
You're correct. Most don't have to be done manually. As a matter of fact, I think the "combo update" is the first one in a long while that you had to go to apple.com for.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Want to install windows 7 via boot camp | ADVICE on MAC for use with OSIRIX »