New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

13" MacBook Pro - Desktop Stand

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brig2221

brig2221 is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a 13" MacBook pro and subsequently upped the RAM to 4Gb, and the hard drive to 320Gb as it will now be my primary desktop machine.

I'd like to place my MacBook on a stand that would elevate it slightly in order to improve airflow. I didn't even know these things existed until I saw one at my buddy's house a few days ago.

Does anyone use one of these stands for their MacBook, and if so, do you have any in particular that you would recommend? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I have this one and love it. Awesome build quality. You get what you pay for:

mStand Laptop Stand - intro
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Or you could make your own - piece of compressed particle board and half dozen self drive screws;

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

jobborrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post

That looks like a great stand, tell me, on their website it says that it helps with heat as it acts like a heatsink. Like the poster here, I use my MBP as my main desktop as well when I'm on the move (I too have 13" upgrade ram to 4GB and 320 HD!!) So does it help with heat? What's your experience?
QUOTE Thanks
brig2221

brig2221 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I wound up ordering this stand. I like how it positions the scren so I can use it as my primary along with a wireless keyboard, or use it to keep the laptop cool while I connect to a larger screen.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:

mstand all the way ! had mine since may and love it.

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

I just made my own based off the Griffin Elevator. Looks better, is A LOT stronger because it's steel, and has 3 fans with a bunch of blue LEDs. You can see it on my pic. I thought I liked the mStand, but then I saw it in person and right away, I hated the steep angle that the macbook was at. As for avoiding heat, you can't beat a stand that is almost completely empty on the bottom and has 2 fans blowing onto the bottom of my mbp.
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Just an FYI, buying a stand "to improve airflow" doesn't make any sense and you are wasting your money. "Airflow" is already fine for the internal components regardless of whether or not you have a stand.

If you want to move your machine around to different orientations while on a desk, that's a different story.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

^^Stands are KNOWN to help improve cooling, especially on Macbook/macbook pros!
QUOTE Thanks
NJOHC

NJOHC is on a distinguished road

Do you guys mind me asking how these actually work to make things cooler? The only vents on these things are at the front under the screen. I cant imagine blowing air on a solid sheet of aluminum from the bottom would help the internals in any way. And if there's a fan blowing in from the vents wouldnt that defeat the purpose of how the vents are supposed to work? Im not trying to argue, but I cant imagine it would make such a dramatic difference on such a closed in machine than just setting it on a desk.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light

well if you cool the case then you are allowing it it absorb and dissipate more heat. Getting the top and the bottom( very important) away from anything that could insulate it allows this to happen quicker there by allowing the entire unit to remain cooler.

Dont take my word for it...take a couple of quarters ( or what ever passes for a large coin where you are from) put them in the oven for a bit to get hot. leave one on the pan on the stove and hold one with tongs or such. Now wait one minute and put one in each hand. which is hotter ?

Clay

QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone

idrinorbarsaku

I like the look of your stand, but I can't see it well enough from the tiny picture, any chance you could post some bigger ones?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Hey guys.... one thing no one has mentioned about using a stand, and that is the protection it offers from those nasty spills that seem to occur! Unless of course someone thinks "cooling" his MBP means spilling a glass of water on
it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

You know what Chscag, I have often thought of that, I use a Logitech stand at the moment, and I'm never afraid to enjoy my cup of tea or coffee on my desk, safe in knowledge that if it went over, my MacBook would be safely looking down at the flood awaiting an airlift and not trying to swim!!!

Good point!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Hey guys.... one thing no one has mentioned about using a stand, and that is the protection it offers from those nasty spills that seem to occur! Unless of course someone thinks "cooling" his MBP means spilling a glass of water on
it.

Regards.
that is probably the best reason of all ! I only bought mine to make it even with my monitor , but it HAS allowed a cup of coffee to pass right under it !

Clay

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Photobooth with Cinema Display camera | Macbook pro trackpad help »