Specs:
    MacBook Pro 1,1 2Ghz 2GB Ram 120GB HDD
    question regarding macbook pro 1,1
    hi, this is my first post on the forums.

i have a few questions regarding the macbook pro 1,1 that was released way back in 2006. i'm currently using this one right now but i am wondering if i can upgrade the wireless from g to n. i'm getting some spotty reception from my router. but new hp pc doesn't seem to have a problem and they are basically side by side in my room. i'm wondering if going from g to n will boost the reception of the wireless connection for my macbookpro?

i think i'm able to upgrade, but i'm not sure and i kinda don't want to pay 1.99 to the apple store for something i can't use.

can someone help?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    The Airport card in your MBP is a b\g model and not capable of receiving or doing n speeds. I'm not sure that you can upgrade the card to a newer one with n capability. And besides that, there is no guaranty that will improve your speed or stability to the net.

I would first go over all your Airport settings on the MBP and make sure they're correct. And then try changing settings on the router for best performance. Before getting into the router, make sure you attach an ethernet cable first so that you do not lose the connection altogether.

Regards.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticreaver View Post
    i have a few questions regarding the macbook pro 1,1 that was released way back in 2006.

i'm currently using this one right now but i am wondering if i can upgrade the wireless from g to n.

can someone help?
    Ha ha ha...2006...soooo long ago!

But more seriously. The MacBook Pro 1,1 (15" screen, 2.16ghz CPU) is not firmware upgradeable to wireless "n". The next Model MBP 2,2 (15", 2.33 ghz CPU) was firmware upgradable to "n". Sorry.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    dang. that kinda sucks. i was hoping to see if that would help my woes with the wireless connection.

i've tried with a wire connection and the connection is fine. i have a fairly large room so i can move around a bit and get a better signal. i wonder if the airport express base station would help.

on another note, is 2gigs of ram the most this model can handle?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticreaver View Post
    dang. that kinda sucks. i was hoping to see if that would help my woes with the wireless connection.

on another note, is 2gigs of ram the most this model can handle?
    On the positive side...I don't really think being able to upgrade to "n" would solve the problem.

It's probably something else with your wireless network. Maybe the quality of the router, maybe too many walls or floors between the router & your computer, or maybe you're simply too far from the router.

As far as the ram. Yes 2 gig is the max for your computer...give this a read to learn more about your computer:

MacBook Pro "Core Duo" 2.16 15" Specs (MacBook Pro, MA601LL, A1150, MacBookPro1,1) @ EveryMac.com

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    thanks for the information Nick. i guess my macbook pro is pretty much maxed out then. i was curious because it's become rather a bit slow with the boot up. i think i will reformat the hdd tonight and see if that will solve some of the woes i get from my macbook pro.

Thread Information