New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP to TV help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

daysaway

daysaway is on a distinguished road

I apologize if this topic has been covered before, please redirect me if that is the case. Anyways....

I have a late 2009 model unibody MacBook Pro. I want to be able to hook this up to my parents big tv to watch a movie. Their TV does have HDMI connections. Know, I need to know what products are available for me since I only have a Mini DisplayPort to work with. Also I would like for the audio to be hooked to the tv as well if possible.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It is not possible to provide accurate and specific information without the make and model # of the TV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mjb94

mjb94 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysaway View Post
I apologize if this topic has been covered before, please redirect me if that is the case. Anyways....

I have a late 2009 model unibody MacBook Pro. I want to be able to hook this up to my parents big tv to watch a movie. Their TV does have HDMI connections. Know, I need to know what products are available for me since I only have a Mini DisplayPort to work with. Also I would like for the audio to be hooked to the tv as well if possible.

Thanks!
bobtomay is right. I know I use a thing i picked up at radio shack. It goes from headphone jack to the rca plugs for sound, works quite well.

QUOTE Thanks
daysaway

daysaway is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... I couldn't tell you that information off the top my head, would have to ask them. However i found this product:
Amazon.com: Cmple - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter MiniDP: Cmple: Electronics
I do know for a fact that the TV does indeed have HDMI connectors so I would assume this product would work. I know this wouldn't help with audio, but it's a start.
What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I wouldn't buy that yet if you want sound from the TV instead of a separate audio device.

There are many TV sets around that do not provide for a separate audio input that can be used with HDMI as they expect the audio to be carried over the HDMI cable.

You really need to know what is required before you spend any money in this scenario.
I'd suggest you call and ask instead of possibly spending money on something that will not work for what you want to do on that TV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2.26Ghz Macbook Pro 13' | CS4 - Macbook or Macbook Pro? »