New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help daughter lodged 2 dvds in macbook pro!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mae

mae is on a distinguished road

Hi, so my 2 yr old daughter stuck 2 dvds in my macbook pro and needless to say they are not coming out. I have the fall08 model and my applecare has expired, I don't think it would be covered anyway. When I called the apple store they told me it would be a couple hundred dollars, which I do not have right now. I am considering taking apart the computer myself and removing the dvds. I have taken apart a tv before and fixed it but, I have no idea if this would be more complicated or would be unwise to do. Any suggestions that anyone might have I would appreciate. Also, I have already tried a couple different methods of removing the discs and they have not worked. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Haven't heard that one yet.
Whenever a cd or dvd just won't eject for whatever reason, there is this solution...
Reboot and hold down the mouse button (or trackpad button) while the computer reboots.

There are also commands you can type into terminal but you'd have to Google to find those. I don't know any off-hand.

Hope you get it figured out!
QUOTE Thanks
mjb94

mjb94 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i

well I think that getting in to the dvd drive to where you could grab them would be rather hard to do. And it is pretty dangerous to take apart a macbook compared to a tv. At least check out the tear down guide on ifixit

QUOTE Thanks
mae

I have tried rebooting the computer and holding down on the trackpad and unfortunately they are not budging. At least the rest of my computer is working fine!
QUOTE Thanks
mjb94

mjb94 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
I have tried rebooting the computer and holding down on the trackpad and unfortunately they are not budging. At least the rest of my computer is working fine!
How often do you use the drive?

QUOTE Thanks
grnvlmike

grnvlmike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive

If you hold a bright flashlight up to the dust shield, can you see the dvd in there? If you can, you can try this method. It worked on my friends car dvd player.. Same basic concept.

Get some really tacky double stick tape.. he used the stuff to hold down carpets from lowes. Its pretty thin and REALLY tacky. he got a super thin piece of rigid plastic about 1 1/2 inces wide. he put the double stick tape on in and put it in the drive and stuck it to the cd. he let it sit for a couple of minutes so the tape really stuck and the nwas able to jimmi the cd out.. ruined the cd, but the player still works. I would try that before taking the thing apart!
QUOTE Thanks
mae

I really don't use the drive that often so it has been ok. I can't see the dvd but, I will definitely remember that suggestion for if it happens again and I can see the dvd. Thank you for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate your help!
QUOTE Thanks
techound1

Location: Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come visit me --->
techound1 has a spectacular aura about

You can visit ifixit.com for visual take-apart guides. Worst case, you have to put a new drive in the computer; best cast, take the drive out, take it apart, and remove the two discs.

And, I disagree with an earlier poster - a MBP is much easier and safer to take apart than a tv.
QUOTE Thanks
Chimpur

Chimpur is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature

A TV (assuming its a CRT) would have anodes and cathodes that are very high voltage. i'd say your best bet is to try and take the laptop apart to a point where you can get to the DVD drive. Be sure to double check the drives operation after, so many small parts that are delicate.

Kind of reminds me of when my cousin was a toddler; he'd stick sandwiches he didn't want into the VCR! So, things would get kinda jammed....

Mac Mini (Late 2009) 2.53GHz C2D, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
Macbook (Original-Black) 2GHz CD, 2GB Ram, 320GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

i guess I would just tear my beautiful mac up bc I would insert some very thin tweezers carefully just to get the dvd's out...my mac is more important than those dvd's so I wouldn't care about the scratches...

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
beaulen

beaulen is on a distinguished road

My toddler did the exact same thing to my MacBook. I ended up working out the discs with my fingernails, but tweezers would have worked as well. I didn't see the discs at first because of the fuzzy material covering the slot opening, but the discs were visible if I poked around in there a little. It's not super easy, but it took me about 10 minutes of fiddling to coax them out. They were still readable too!

If you had to open up the MacBook it's not that hard. Maybe a dozen little screws and a little patience. As others have mentioned, the iFixit.com site has some excellent guides.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help my macbook pro plz | Is there actually going to be a new MacBook Pro? »