New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Trackpad making my fingers raw?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joey1

joey1 is on a distinguished road

i have the 13" macbook unibody and when i use it for an extended period of time my finger tips hurt. almost to where they feel numb. anyone else have this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

WOW i havnt and i have some power user friends and they have never had this problem.

Have you tried a moisturiser of some sort to give your finger tips some care ??
How hard do you press on the track pad when your working ??
And how long is a extended period?
Have you thought about getting a BlueTooth or USB connected mouse to alleviate this problem you have ??

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

It is always good to take a break at times.

Will help your fingertips and your eyes.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

If you are working at a desk then try attaching a mouse to minimize the amount of time you are using the trackpad. As mentioned by Eric, having breaks is a good idea but I understand when you are busy and have deadlines to meet then it's not always practical.

The glass surface on the new MacBook Pros have reduced the friction for me compared to my PowerBook but if you are using the trackpad that much then it might a good idea to connect a mouse to it. That's what I do with my MBP. I mainly use the trackpad for finger gestures but for a lot of movement I just use the mouse. If a mouse isn't a good solution for you then the other option might be to use more keyboard shortcuts so the you don't have to use the trackpad as often.
QUOTE Thanks
lambjll

lambjll is on a distinguished road

I got my Macbook Pro in August, and in December I started noticing my fingertips felt 'sensitive', like the skin had been shaved off of them. Kind of the sore feeling I get after pushing too hard on the strings on my guitar. Not sure if it is the material or excessive use....
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Umm it's glass...? Over usage. Switch over to a mouse or tablet and give your fingers a rest.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1 View Post
i have the 13" macbook unibody and when i use it for an extended period of time my finger tips hurt. almost to where they feel numb.
You need to get away from the computer...and toughen up those fingers "Slick"!

I would suggest go dig a ditch...without any gloves. After that...you won't have any problem with your finger tips when using the trackpad!

- Nick

p.s. But more seriously. You may be resting your palm on the edge of the MacBook cutting off blood circulation to your hand (causing your hand to "fall asleep" or go partially numb)...or pinching a nerve in some way. Lift your hand every so often & flex your wrist, hands, and fingers to get the blood flowing.

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambjll View Post
I got my Macbook Pro in August, and in December I started noticing my fingertips felt 'sensitive', like the skin had been shaved off of them. Kind of the sore feeling I get after pushing too hard on the strings on my guitar. Not sure if it is the material or excessive use....
I suggest playing more guitar and spending less time on the computer.... this will toughen up your fingertips and improve your playing
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I just cant believe this thread would ever show its face again .. Hmmm

Well there you go

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I'm glad it did so I could put in my bit!
I wanna start a thread, ....My Mac is working just fine, so what can I complain about?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

HAHA how funny.
Well you got your $0.02 in
Dont know .. If you want your own thread, scowl through the web and look for sinister  rumours ...... lol

QUOTE Thanks
6string

LOL ..... don't tempt me.
Maybe we can hijack this thread, and talk about how I've heard that Microsoft is buying Apple?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Maybe we can hijack this thread, and talk about how I've heard that Microsoft is buying Apple?
Now do tell
lol

QUOTE Thanks
joey1

joey1 is on a distinguished road

i don't spend that much time on the computer but i guess this track pad kinda spoiled me. you can do everything with the 2,3 and 4 finger gestures.
QUOTE Thanks
RadarP3C

RadarP3C is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.66GHz, OS 10.6.2, iPad2(64G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Old news!

I bought Apple 5 yrs ago.

Bill Gates

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« best way to charge macbook retina ? | Powerbook g4 »