New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Getting iBook circa 2001 onto wireless network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vita64

vita64 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4

I have a MacBook Pro. My husband has PC running Windows XP. I'm perpetually glued to my MacBook, so my husband wants to use our ancient, but still functioning iBook to get online. Apparently he prefers it to the PC with XP (understandable).

The iBook has an Airport card and it can "see" our wireless network, but it can't log on. The router is NOT an Apple Airport because the PC couldn't access our old one (the first one Apple ever made).

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / 2014 MacBook Air i5 11" / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"

Yes, the older Airport cards don't support WPA encryption, so you will need to either use WEP (less secure) or nothing.
Try changing the encryption on your router as a test to see if the iBook will connect.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
vita64

I am using WEP encryption. The iBook can "see" the router, but the password fails.

Thanks for the reply. I really thought you had it nailed.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Did you set up your MacBook to use your home LAN? If you did, then there are unlikely to be any Access restrictions in the Modem/Router but if someone else did it, you may have to check the settings in Modem/Router Admin area.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Can you tell me a few things as it will better help me to help you.

What OSX version is installed on the iBook?
What is the brand and model of your router?
Is the WEP key you are using 128Bit Hex or Ascii?
Also what are the basic specs on the iBook? 12" G3 or G4. 2001 would indicate G3. What speed is the CPU?

With that info I can probably solve your issue. Different versions of OSX have slightly different network panels thus me asking you which OS.
QUOTE Thanks
vita64

> What OSX version is installed on the iBook?
Mac OS 10.3.9 ... I doubt it could handle much more than that

> What is the brand and model of your router?
D-Link DIR-615
(used to be the first Airport Base Station Apple ever made, but we added a PC to the mix and it couldn't talk to the Airport)

> Is the WEP key you are using 128Bit Hex or Ascii?
I'm not entirely sure. I know I couldn't use the old password because it didn't fit PC requirements. The current password is 10 letters long (no numbers), but is also a valid hexadecimal combination (because I thought that might be necessary).

> Also what are the basic specs on the iBook? 12" G3 or G4. 2001 would indicate G3.
500 MHz PowerPC G3, 192 MB SDRAM, looks to be a 12"
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Give this a quick try. I don't have a machine set up with 10.3 and an airport card but remember in the old days this working for some with WEP and older OSX.

Put a $ in front of the key. Like $thisismykey. Try to connect.
QUOTE Thanks
vita64

That worked! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Great! Glad to hear it worked.

You are very welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / 2014 MacBook Air i5 11" / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"

Sorry, forgot about the $ trick, glad you got it going

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugtheslug View Post
Sorry, forgot about the $ trick, glad you got it going

Cheers

Hugh
It was the type of key they were using plus 10.3 that helped me to remember. I never had that issue 10.4 and later. I never had it with 10.3 either as my keys are always full Hex and complex and there are three types in 10.3 to pick from. If the key is letters (ASCII), the $ worked in 10.3 for many.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I've got an iBook that won't go onto my brother's network for my niece to use. Thought I had tried this but maybe I messed something up. I'll have to try that again.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
vita64

My husband woke up this morning, saw that the iBook was online and said, "How did you do that?!" He now thinks I'm some kind of computer genius.

I saw a funny flowchart recently. It explains to your non tech-savvy friends what most so-called computer geniuses are actually doing. Let's see if I can find a link.

Fun Meme Humor & Jokes | Not Computer People Flow Chart of Computing

My husband is now watching San Diego vs. New York and making play-by-play commentary with all of his friends on Facebook. He's a happy man.

Thanks, again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Kernel Panic Shutdown!!! Help! | Removing firewire cable from MBP 13" 6/09 »