New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Sound

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bbearz

bbearz is on a distinguished road

I installed windows xp onto my new mbp but my sound doesn't work while im in xp? Could anyone help me?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I found this... may be of help to you.

Annoyances.org - sound device error (Windows XP Discussion Forum)

1) Go to System in Control Panel, Hardware tab, Device Manager button.
2) Click the + in front of 'System devices' (near the bottom), and look for a line that says: Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
This fix will only help if you are missing that line, or if you have a yellow exclamation point on that line! If you have that line, and there's no yellow exclamation point, then stop here and look elsewhere - you've got a different situation.

Okay, now that you've confirmed that you're missing the Plug and Play Software Enumerator, or that it's broken:

1) Make sure you have the following two files in Windows (do a search - they should be there):
streamci.dll
swenum.sys
You don't need to do anything with them, just make sure they're there.

Then:
1) Copy machine.inf from WINDOWS\inf to a temporary location
2) Edit the temporary copy of machine.inf - remove the line that says "ExcludeFromSelect=*", and save the file
3) in Control Panel, choose "Add Hardware"
at the 'Welcome to the Add Hardware Wizard' window - click Next
at the 'Add Hardware Wizard' window (when it finishes searching) - click 'Yes, I have already connected the hardware', then click Next
scroll to the bottom of the list of 'Installed hardware', and click on 'Add a new hardware device', then click Next
click 'Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced), then click Next
click 'Have Disk...', and browse to and select the edited machine.inf file
scroll down in the list of 'Common hardware types', and click on 'System devices', then click Next
under 'Manufacturer' on the left, select '(Standard system devices)'
under 'Model' on the right, select 'Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator'
click Next

Once the installation is finished, and the Device Manager shows the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator under 'System devices', the audio should now work (no reboot required).
QUOTE Thanks
bbearz

bbearz is on a distinguished road

problem solved. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Then check out this link (even though they are refering to imac):

Boot Camp Drivers for iMac (Early 2009) | Command-Tab

This may also point you in the right direction although its the same problem, but with windows 7
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/win...p-windows.html
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Great to hear..... Please post how you solved the problem, for future reference for myself, and for anyone else who has the same problem.
Also, please add you MBP specs, version of OS X, bootcamp, and XP that you have.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« kingston RAM memory for macbook | Bluetooth device questions. »