New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Problem With Snow Leopard Booting!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Anty22

Anty22 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys!
sorry if ive posted this in the wrong thread! im new and having an issue with my MacBook Pro. Im running Snow Leopard and up until yesterday morning everything was fine. But when i went to use my system that afternoon, a line appeared underneath the gear and the apple logo. It fills to about 15% and then starts again, gets to the same sort of area and then my mac shuts down. I know its not a heating issue because i started up using my Snow Leopard DVD and left it for a considerable amount of time and it just got warm. I run disk utilty from the DVD and it wont either verify or complete repair. Im told to back up as many files as possible, reformat and restore the files. I have so many pictures, loads of music and most importantly the backup for my iPhone on there and i desperately need to retrieve all this before i wipe it!

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Anty22
QUOTE Thanks
ticedoff8

ticedoff8 will become famous soon enough

Can you afford a new hard disk?
If so, get a new HD & a USB enclosure.
Mount the new HD in the MBP and mount the old HD in the USB enclosure.
Do a clean SL install on the new HD. Do not try to use the migration tool.

Once the new HD is setup, plug in the old HD and see if it mounts. Create a folder on the new HD and drag as much data off the old HD as you can. If it mounts, but has lots and lots of errors, be patient - take smaller "bites" for the disk. Do one folder at a time.

If it doesn't mount, you are screwed. The only option is a company like Data OnTrack - a data recovery company that charges big-$$$$ to recover lost data.

BTW - It is not "If" a hard disk will fail, it is "When". The key is to be backed up WHEN the hard disk fails. SuperDuper, CrashPlan & Time Machine - all free, all good.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

On the other hand my MBP had a video card fail and i got enough limited use to do a SuperDuper back up by following these steps, and when i had all data copied i sent it in.
1/ Do extended Hardware Test - which always came up OK
2/ Do a PRAM reset and after third chord let it boot and then it would work until it warmed up and then i would have to repeat the process.
NB With 4 GB of ram the extended test takes more than an hour.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If the drive will mount but Disk Utility won't fix it you might want to give DiskWarrior 4 a try. It may be able to repair the directory structure. You'll want to boot from the DVD to perform the repair.

There is also a program called Data Rescue 3 available to recover files. Data Recovery Software, Hard Drive Data/File Recovery Software - Windows/Mac. Prosoft has a demo available but you will need to have something available to save the files to. I haven't used this one but have used Disk Warrior a number of times.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replacement of the original system disks | Apple store or futureshop (canada) »