New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Just purchased SuperDuper!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeygq007

joeygq007 is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,

I just purchased SuperDuper seems pretty much straight forward and simple to use. I am going to create a disk image file using it. Once I create the file and all, I was thinking tomorrow to go purchase a bigger hard drive with a faster rpm I currently got 5400 rpm and wanna go to 7400 rpm will I notice a difference in speed and also once I get the new hard drive what is it that I will have to do will SuperDuper preserve all my data and I would not need to reinstall anything
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

U will notice the difference if the enclosure includes Firewire 800, that and a 7200 HD give you quick Superduper backups on a Mac. Read the info on SuperDuper and do a bootable back up of all Files the first time then next use Smart Update. Sandbox is good if you are loading heaps of 3rd Party software and want quick protection from lockups.
QUOTE Thanks
joeygq007

joeygq007 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your help... much appreciated!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chipz

chipz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4

You will notice a speed increase. I have a 2.4 GHz 2 GB C2D Black MacBook and a 2.0 GB Core Duo, 2 GB 2006 iMac. The MB has a 5400 RPM HDD while the iMac has a 7200 RPM HDD (both are 250 GB). Even hough the iMac has a slower processor, it runs faster than the MacBook! I admit the difference is slight, but it is faster in the iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
darklight7

darklight7 is on a distinguished road

congrats on buying SuperDuper! I too purchased it and schedule weekly backups, great program.
QUOTE Thanks
ticedoff8

ticedoff8 will become famous soon enough

The only "advantage" to buying SuperDuper is the scheduling. Otherwise, you get 100% functionality.

SuperDuper (free) gets you the bare metal recovery and combined with Time Machine or Crashplan (both free) gives you point in time and versioning.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook wont stay asleep! and the fan is running constantly | spec it up before or after purchase? »