New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Bought my new MBP but...???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jtcannonball

jtcannonball is on a distinguished road

Should I return it and wait until the end of January to see what all this fuss about the i5 possibly being in the new Pro's turns into something legit or not?
Will it make a difference in the 13" versions? Or will it be something they did in the past that they put it into the 15" on up and let the small pro be slightly better than the standard whitebook? I have 14 days to return mine and may have to do it if it appears to be beneficial.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Does the machine do what you bought it for in an acceptable manner?

Technology changes constantly. If you're always waiting for the newest and the best, you'll be waiting forever.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcannonball View Post
Should I return it and wait until the end of January to see what all this fuss about the i5 possibly being in the new Pro's turns into something legit or not?
Will it make a difference in the 13" versions? Or will it be something they did in the past that they put it into the 15" on up and let the small pro be slightly better than the standard whitebook? I have 14 days to return mine and may have to do it if it appears to be beneficial.
Don't you think if we knew the answers to these questions that we could probably make a lot of money with the info!

In any case...if you really think something new & amazing is going to be announced at the end of January...then go ahead & return your computer...of course you will also have to pay the 10% restocking fee.

Apple Sales and Refund Policy

And what happens at the end of January...and no new computers are announced...or if there is an announcement, nothing is announced that you're interested in???

Now you're out the 10% restocking fee...AND you still need a computer.

A second option is keep your computer, and see if there is an announcement at the end of January. If something good is announced, sell your computer, and purchase the new one you want. If nothing is announced...or nothing you like...then you already have a computer!

Your call,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

I would say keep it and see what happens. The restocking fee is already going to be over $100. If they do come out with a new macbook pro, you could sell the one you have now for not too much of a loss considering it is still really new and buy the new one. But if the macbook pro is working fine for you, why is there a need to upgrade? Of course everyone wants the latest and greatest technology but the question to be answered is do you really need it?

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
jtcannonball

jtcannonball is on a distinguished road

Well, I can get around the restocking fee without any problems. I work at Best Buy and bought it at work. Well not my store but another store about an hour away, b/c my store doesn't sell apple products yet. Well the magical date is exactly the last day of my return policy so if it's announced maybe I will swap it out. But I actually think I'm happy with it and won't be switching. By the time I need a new computer then the technology will be way different then.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Well, I can get around the restocking fee without any problems. I work at Best Buy and bought it at work.
If you:

- can return the computer without paying any sort of restocking fee
- if you didn't get any sort of special discount that you couldn't get after January 31st
- and you don't "NEED" the computer currently for anything...such as school or work

Then go ahead & return the computer if you strongly feel that Apple will be announcing new products at the end of the month that you will be interested in purchasing.

If nothing is announced that you're interested in...then purchase another computer.

On the plus side...if you return your computer...Best Buy may discount it as a returned item...and another needy customer will purchase it...and be very happy with it!

Good luck,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
By the time I need a new computer then the technology will be way different then.
That's been my train of thought as well. USB 3.0 and Mobile Core i7 are on the horizon for the MacBook Pro. Upgraded GPUs are also something I think we'll see before too long, but not on this upcoming revision. All of these are worth waiting for. Minor increments in the processor line are probably not worth the trouble and expense (and forgive me, but I'm not terribly familiar with the Core i5, which is what I believe will end up in the MacBook Pro in this next revision).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
KrisEagling

KrisEagling is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook, 2.13GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 150GB HDD, 2GB DDR2 Ram

Personally i'd keep the computer you have, they may announce something new but is it that necessary you have it right away.. i mean its probably going to be a processor upgrade, id be surprised if i saw usb 3.0 as i haven't seen many, if any products take the upgrade
Not worth losing out on the 10% restocking fee either, just throwing money away

Your call i guess

Kris

"If Only I Was As Good Looking As A Mac"
QUOTE Thanks
wirelessmacuser

wirelessmacuser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"

1) Newer is not always better
2) Apples history is to announce the latest, then immediately show it as backordered for at least a month or two (and Im an Apple Advocate, not bashing them)
3) Finally you get yours only to find out it's an early production model with bugs.
4) You kick yourself for waiting, having problems, and gaining little if anything.

Me?

I"m about to press the "order button" now *big smile*
QUOTE Thanks
mjb94

mjb94 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i

im sure that if apple releases one at the end of january, doubt it, then they might do a "upgrade if purchased in the last 30 days"

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook failure when powered by battery. | Connecting 3 year old white MB to plasma HDMI? »