New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Trackpad issue - skin oil? normal wear and tear?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac_Badger

Mac_Badger is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I am a new Mac user. Got a MBP 13" in July and love the machine. It's working fine except the trackpad feels a little different. It feels SLIGHTLY more slippery than a new machine. Sometimes when I am using the three finger scroll to go up on a page, it does not register. Is this a skin oil issue? I am a student and spend insane hours (often sweating) on the device.

I have purchased a protector for the trackpad and palm rest but I am concerned that by putting on the protector now, it will merely cover up the problem. Should I ask Apple to replace my trackpad before it gets worse, THEN cover it up with a protector so this doesn't happen again? Or is there a cleaner that will scrub all of the oil off? I currently use a little dab of water.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I wouldn't worry about it. Trackpad is made of glass, and if you have or have ever seen an iPhone which also has a glass touch surface you'd know that skin oil just happens. I use optical cleaner cloths dampened with optical cleaning solution (expensive Windex) to clean my iPhone, and don't worry about the trackpad.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

I would take a damp cloth and wipe off the trackpad. Then replace the trackpad cover and things should be a little better. Since you are saying you sweat a lot while using the macbook pro, I am going to assume the problems are being caused by skin oil.

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Wipe off your trackpad with the microfiber material that they provide you with.

It should become nice and clean again. =)
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Badger

who is "they"? apple?
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Badger View Post
who is "they"? apple?
No, it's Orange.

In the Box that your MBP came in, there should be a little cloth folded up with an Apple logo on it.

Wipe off your trackpad with that.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Badger

Thanks, I'll check.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ughhh mannn if its not one thing its another..... | A few quirks from a first time poster »