New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Battery capacity drops every time after calibration?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Birdie

Birdie is on a distinguished road

I have a 2 months old macbook plastic unibody version. So far I've done two calibrations, draining the battery until it shuts down itself and charging it until it reaches 100%. After the first calibration, the battery capacity dropped around 100 mAh from 5300 to 5200. Just after yesterday's calibration, the battery capacity dropped another 100 mAh or so to around 5100 mAh. The battery capacity also increases by small amounts from time to time during regular uses. Now my battery is at 94% health with 16 charge cycles. Why is calibration killing my battery?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It's not. Batteries are not an exact science. Unlike the gas tank in your car which has a float and a sensor to judge the position of the float, there is no way to accurately meter the capacity of your battery. Those ratings are little more than "educated guesses" based on your usage patterns.

Over time you will likely see these numbers fluctuate as the SMC learns more about your battery's discharge patterns. For right now, I wouldn't sweat it. Now, if you see the battery health at less than 90%, that would be a different story - for now it's fine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Birdie

Birdie is on a distinguished road

What's the warranty for macbook battery? I heard something about 80% and 300 charge cycles, but I can't find the exact Apple webpage that talks about battery warranty.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« is my processor slow?? | August 2009 13" Macbook Pro Unibody -- constant hiccups since Snow Leop? »