New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

FireWire

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pastorpaul

pastorpaul is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" anti-glare 500 GB HD

4-4, 4-6, 4-9, 6-9 pin FireWire options. How do I know which one to buy to connect my Sony Digital8 HandyCam for uploading? It's a Model DCR-TRV 460 NTSC. Is the FW port in my MBP 17" a 4-pin?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Firewire 800 is 9 pin.

Don't have a clue what you would need at the other end for connecting to the Sony.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Can you upload a picture of the port on the sony? It's probably a 4-pin connector.
QUOTE Thanks
melmation

melmation has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive

Tape based digital camcorders generally have a small 4 pin firewire port. Hold on...

I'm 99% sure anyway as I used to work in a Camera shop (for 4 years) but I just checked on Google and it doesn't seem to be a proprietary Sony connection so I would say you need a firewire 800 to firewire 4 pin connector to connect your camcorder up to your computer.

Even though it's 8MM it is digital 8MM and so should work just like a Mini DV deck when connected up. I do remember selling these and as I say I am pretty sure it's a 4 pin port but I cannot say for sure whether there will be an issue with iMovie and the adapter when you hook it up.

Maybe buy one from a shop and tell the assidtant "If I hook this up and it doesn't work, can I bring it back for a refund?" if they say yes, go for it, nothing to loose except maybe a drive back to get a refund if it fails to work.

MacBook Pro 1.83Ghz 2Gb RAM 320Gb hard drive
iPhone 4 16Gb
iPod photo 20Gb
QUOTE Thanks
pastorpaul

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to post a pic of the Sony. How do I do that in here? I have the pic on my MBP, but it asks for a URL. Do I have to upload it to Flickr or somewhere in order to add a URL?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorpaul View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to post a pic of the Sony. How do I do that in here? I have the pic on my MBP, but it asks for a URL. Do I have to upload it to Flickr or somewhere in order to add a URL?
You can attach the image like you via email, or upload the image to a site and post the url in the [IMG]yoururlhere[/IMG] tags.

You only see the "attach file" in advance view.

After you click on the paperclip, another window will pop up with the following.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
pastorpaul

OK, it says the file size limit is 1 MB, and my pic is 4.8 MB. How can I reduce the file size in iPhoto?
QUOTE Thanks
pastorpaul

OK, I emailed it to myself, and now I'm uploading it from my downloads folder. Here it is.
QUOTE Thanks
pastorpaul

I uploaded it, but it didn't go through. I'll try again.IMG_0651_2.jpg
Top port is for RGB cable to TV to watch videos directly.
Second port is Firewire.
Bottom port is for USB cable that came with camera.
I think that's correct anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

You'll need a 4-pin firewire 400 to a 9-pin firewire 800 cable (just like the one I use with my Sony PDx-10 and MBP 15")...something like this.

Does your camera capture to a HDD or to miniDV tapes...if it captures to an HDD then you can load the clips into iMovie via USB.
QUOTE Thanks
pastorpaul

Thanks! My camera uses Digital8 tapes. It came with a USB cable, but I couldn't get it to work. Then I found out I need Firewire for a tape-based camcorder.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« numlock key lights up when I press F5 and no chime is heard on start up | Jump drive/Thumb drive with Mac/PC »