New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New MBP-weird "clanking" noise with movement

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm is on a distinguished road

I just got a new macbook pro and am loving it so far. However, I've noticed an annoying "clank" noise (just a single, short sound) coming from it quite often when I move the computer. I haven't been able to find the exact motion to create the sound, but it happens maybe every third time I move it. If I were to guess, I'd say say it's coming from the lower right-hand corner. It's definitely a sounds coming from something physically moving/hitting when the whole computer is moved (not the "clicking" sound I've read about when I googled it--although I think I have that, as well, but that's another story).

Any thoughts??
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

It's probably the sudden motion sensor parking your hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
CodeSamurai

CodeSamurai has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD

I actually have this problem too. Try opening your screen and placing your hand on the bottom and pressing up with your palm a little bit. Do you get some give and do you hear the clink sound? If so, you probably have the same problem I do. It's not the hard drive parking though. It's actually the case not matching up quite right and banging together on the supports on the inside. Annoying, but I've found no way to fix it yet. It hasn't caused any problems though. I'm on a 15" 2.66 MBP.

Trent out

CodeSamurai | Facebook
Twitter >> Flickr
15.4" 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro w/ High-res antiglare screen and Nvidia 650m GT w/ 1GB VRAM
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

If you have a disc in the SuperDrive, it could potentially make a noise if you move the machine while it's spinning. Hard to say without experiencing the sound in person.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses.

miles-I wish I could hear what the "sudden motion sensor" sounds like for comparison, as it'd be less worrisome if I knew it was supposed to happen.

codesamurai-when I press on the bottom I do get a little bit of give but cannot force or reproduce the "clanking" sound by doing so.

cwa-Nope, no disc.

The best way I can describe the sound is to lightly tap the flat surface of a quarter against another hard surface. This doesn't sound exactly right, but it's the closest analogous noise I can come up with.

Thinking about making a trip to the apple store to experiment with their display MBPs.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I would schedule a Genius Bar appointment and let them diagnose it - see if they can reproduce it on a display model with your help. This way it won't be a wasted trip if you find the issue is unique to your machine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

rzj90059 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS

I also have the same noise in the same location. Obviously it isn't affecting anything, but it would be good to know what it is

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks
Hi Tek

Hi Tek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD

I'v been wondering about that TO !?

“All things must come to an end, it is an inevitable part of the cycle of existence, all things must conclude”

-Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
thehappyhitman

thehappyhitman is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro unibody 2.26ghz, 4gb ram, 250 gb hard drive

i worried about the noise too, but i'm pretty sure it's the sudden motion sensor. it's usually when i move the MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

rzj90059 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS

Im glad to know I am not the only one in this boat.

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help - struggling with move from pc to Mac | Shopping for a new macbook »