New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Any word on price drops on DDR3 ram?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

Hi,

I got the unibody macbook pro and I would love to upgrade to 8 gigs but the prices out there right now are extremely high! Any word on if ddr3 ram is coming down in price? I talked to the sales rep at my local computer shop and he said ddr3 is not common and not produced in mass quantities which means it most likely won't come down in price. Is he correct?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

It actually use to be cheaper...like 20 dollars cheaper. I remember it hovering around 80 dollars for 4GB.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Yeah, the price of memory sticks has actually went up. As I read, a large memory stick board maker went bankrupt. I remember getting my 4gb for $73 shipped, now it's a bit more. However, I don't think the price difference, or even if a lower price point was introduced, should hold you off from buying it as soon as possible...the prices aren't going to change drastically any time soon.

As for the salesman's comment, he seems like an idiot to me! It is produced in mass quantities. If they don't use ddr3, what are they going to use? DDR2?? That's dated technology which is being milked like crazy, who's end is long over due!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

The price of ddr3 ram has actually gone up as others have mentioned. The prices should stay pretty much the same for a while so I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry. What exactly do you need 8gb of ram for?

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

I don't know where any of you are getting your info but I have screen caps from OWC showing a decrease in RAM since I bought my iMac in July and wanted to upgrade to 8gb.

When I checked in July, OWC wanted over $800. In September they wanted $520 and currently they want $460. Doesn't sound like the price is increasing to me.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Both DDR2 and DDR3 memory prices have increased quite dramatically, by about 40% in the last three months or so. For example DDR2 PC24200 went from $59.00 for 2x2 GB modules to currently just on $100 for the same amount, and that is from OWC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I Upgrade the ram on my Macbook pro Unibody gradually? | mini dvi to video adapter/rca »