New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook + External Monitor: Easy way to keep programs in place whilst Macbook closed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alexjholland

alexjholland is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I have a pre-update white Macbook which I use for music production.

I have it on a stand, connected to my ASUS VH226H 22" 1080p monitor via a VGA adaptor (PC uses the DVI).

I use both at once:
- 22" screen runs Ableton Live (maximised and filling screen)
- Macbook display runs plugins/mixers

This is a brilliant and efficient setup, but as I leave it running for days at a time I turn off the monitor (no problems here) and close the Macbook at times.

Closing the Macbook initially kills the signal to the external monitor, but if I turn it on later, at some point it will have started outputting as a single signal to the monitor - so I have my taskbar at the bottom. It also works very sluggishly in this mode.

If I then open the Macbook, its display stays turned off and I have to unplug my VGA adaptor, wait for the Macbook display to turn on - then reconnect the external monitor and move all my music programs back to their respective places.

Is there a a way to:

A) Have my Macbook simply keep programs on their correct monitors when I close it, so that when its opened the display reactivates, my VSTs are on the Macbook display, Ableton is on the external monitor and I don't have to disconnect/reconnect cables etc.

or

B) Is there a way to activate a sleep mode so I don't have to close my Macbook, but it turns off hardware until I turn it back on and get back all my programs - again, on the correct monitors?

This is a simple productivity issue I would like to resolve.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Not sure if you know this but if you plug in the laptop you can close the lid and use the external monitor still.

Didn't help your questions but just an FYI.

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjholland View Post
B) Is there a way to activate a sleep mode so I don't have to close my Macbook, but it turns off hardware until I turn it back on and get back all my programs - again, on the correct monitors?
Haven't tried this with external monitor connected, but I do have my MBP set to go to sleep if I leave the lid open for 15 minutes. (screen to dim to black after 5 minutes) Wakes up when I touch the touch pad.

Just saying, you could try to set a sleep mode in "Energy Settings" and see if it works the next time you come back and wake up the MB.

...even if you just went into System Preferences and turned on the sleep mode before you walked away and turned it off when you returned. Might work. I don't know.
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

alexjholland is on a distinguished road

I just figured out the most obvious answer of all! Thanks for reminding me about sleep!

Tap the power button and choose 'Sleep' - does the job nicely!

Only two issues are:

- Moving the mouse brings it back, so I have to be careful not to knock it (I also have a mouse for my PC near it).

- The shortcut of alt - command - eject does not seem to work..

Other than that, pretty happy!
QUOTE Thanks
G3XOI

G3XOI is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjholland View Post
I just figured out the most obvious answer of all! Thanks for reminding me about sleep!

Tap the power button and choose 'Sleep' - does the job nicely!

Only two issues are:

- Moving the mouse brings it back, so I have to be careful not to knock it (I also have a mouse for my PC near it).

- The shortcut of alt - command - eject does not seem to work..

Other than that, pretty happy!
That's exactly what I do! Works very nicely!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Monitor | New Monitor »