New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

13" MBP vs MB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

searched this but didn't find anything (surprisingly).

What is the primary benefit of the new 13" MBP over the current 13" MacBook? From the specs on Apple's site, it seems that for $200 extra the MBP gives you a considerably smaller hard drive, a firewire 800 port, and the aluminum case (comparing the 2.26GHz processor versions).

Is there something in the architecture of the MBP that makes it faster/better? Same video card, same CPU, etc. Kind of weird pricing when viewed this way, so I figure there's something I'm missing.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

Well you also get the backlit keyboard and sd card slot. For me, the aluminum unibody design makes it worth the extra $200. If you are only looking at specs, then I agree that the white macbook is a better deal.

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
Foreign Feeling

Foreign Feeling is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: fall 09 macbook

I think I would go with the regular macbook. I like the aluminum design of the macbook pro, but I would only get a 15 inch macbook pro or a 17 inch, not a 13 inch when you can get the same specs for 200$ less

life is tough. and then you die
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreign Feeling View Post
I think I would go with the regular macbook. I like the aluminum design of the macbook pro, but I would only get a 15 inch macbook pro or a 17 inch, not a 13 inch when you can get the same specs for 200$ less
I agree, I think the macbook pro is only worth it if you are getting the 15" or 17" versions, that is of course if you don't need the extras that the macbook pro has.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Pro View Post
I agree, I think the macbook pro is only worth it if you are getting the 15" or 17" versions.
Well not really....the 13" MBP has firewire, sd card slot and backlit keyboard which the MB does not. Plus the screen quality is noticeably better.

The 15" is really only worth it if you are upgrading to the dedicated GPU and it comes with a faster CPU.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

jobborrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone

Screen quality - just as Crimson said, that's what I understand too. I am sure that the Macbooks are great machines, when I was buying my Macbook Pro, the salesman asked me why I don't just go for the Macbook a save a few £s, I mentioned the large chunk of plastic that it is, and he suddenly reassured me that it doesn't split round the edges anymore!!! I hadn't mentioned anything about edges and splitting! LOL!

Having said all that, I must reiterate that I'm sure it's a great machine, I would have one any day, even an older one if it came to it. But I do like the solid feel to the Pro... But, if you search around, they did make a Unibody Macbook for a while! I've seen places still selling them for knock down prices. Search Unibody Macbook, see what you can find.

One other important factor, and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but whilst the Macbook Pros support up to 8GB of RAM, the Macbooks only support up to 4GB. Now there's no way on God's earth that I can afford 8GB of RAM, there are solid nuggets of gold the size of a man's hand going for cheaper than 8GB of RAM, but with OSs changing and growing and Apps getting bigger and better and more complex, I like having the option to go 8GB in a future day when it's affordable for the low people like myself!!

Firewire for me is important, for audio card. SD slot is useful, but no big deal. The only real let down for me on getting a Macbook Pro is that it has only one audio port, and output that can be configured as an input if you fancy it. It does work with headphone/mic set ups like my iphone headphones, and it's true that for decent low latency audio recording you'd want an external card anyway, but I feel they could have squeezed an extra hole in there for me?!!

Please note, when I say 'unibody' I refer to the Aluminum unibody commonly found on the Macbook Pros, as the Macbooks call themselves 'poloycarbonate unibody'.

Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
hermz1

hermz1 is on a distinguished road

I'm also trying to decide between a 13" MB vs. MBP.
I'd go with a MB because of the bigger hard drive but I have these 3 concerns:
1. It may be too soon to tell, but is there any reliable speculation or facts about whether the MB will be prone to heat damage over the long term, given that it has the rubberized bottom that may not dissipate heat as well as the aluminum MBP?
2. How sturdy is the MB around the edges of the screen? Compared to the MBP, the plastic screen edge would seem much more prone to wear and tear (remember the cracking on the older MBs). I am pleased with the sturdiness of the unibody construction of the bottom portion of the case, however, compared to the older non-unibody MBs.
3. Isn't the rubberized bottom of the case prone to excessive dirt? How easy is it to clean?
QUOTE Thanks
vwpowa

vwpowa is on a distinguished road

i had the same dilemma. Firewire not important to me, card slot not important to me. The only thing i miss about the pro is the back lit keyboard. Is that worth 200???? Thats for your to decide.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwpowa View Post
i had the same dilemma. Firewire not important to me, card slot not important to me. The only thing i miss about the pro is the back lit keyboard. Is that worth 200???? Thats for your to decide.
The backlit keyboard is the only thing I really should have paid more attention to when I bought my Macbook. I saved 200 bucks and kick myself every time I have to turn on a light to type !

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwpowa View Post
The 200 price differences isn't just for the backlit keyboard. It's also for a better screen plus the things that you mentioned that you don't need.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Nothingfaced

Nothingfaced is on a distinguished road

The difference is, MPC 13 inch has better video card, illuminated keyboard, and firewire port.

Obviously, the much better aluminum casing as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingfaced View Post
The difference is, MPC 13 inch has better video card, illuminated keyboard, and firewire port.

The video cards are the same and the macbook pro also has an sd card slot.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingfaced View Post
The difference is, M[BP] 13 inch has better video card, illuminated keyboard, and firewire port.

Fixed it for ya.

The graphic cards are the same on all the lower end models. MB all the way up to the 15" MBP.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
iThinkiCan

iThinkiCan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB

I'm still undecided. It's either a brand new macbook unibody or a refurbished macbook pro 13". I've been doing a lot of research and I think I'm going to hold off for the next couple of weeks cause I'm not in a rush. I bought the 24" iMac right before the new ones came out and I was kind of disappointed. Not to take anything away from my iMac but I don't want to make the same mistake again. What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkiCan View Post
I'm still undecided. It's either a brand new macbook unibody or a refurbished macbook pro 13". I've been doing a lot of research and I think I'm going to hold off for the next couple of weeks cause I'm not in a rush. I bought the 24" iMac right before the new ones came out and I was kind of disappointed. Not to take anything away from my iMac but I don't want to make the same mistake again. What do you guys think?
I think this.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ok so i'm new to Mac's. So What | MBP battery concern »